If there is a God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If there is a God

Then there is absolute truth. There is right and wrong. There must be a moral code which God authorizes. There is in fact a way to measure righteousness or specifically the level to which someone follows God's morality. So if there is a way to measure righteousness, then there must be a way to compare two groups of people and determine which is more righteous.

Group A: goes to church, serves missions, pays tithing

Group B: pours beer on opposing fans at games

What if you're not "self-righteous" but you're just plain "righteous"?

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    Then there is absolute truth. There is right and wrong. There must be a moral code which God authorizes. There is in fact a way to measure righteousness or specifically the level to which someone follows God's morality. So if there is a way to measure righteousness, then there must be a way to compare two groups of people and determine which is more righteous.

Group A: goes to church, serves missions, pays tithing

Group B: pours beer on opposing fans at games

What if you're not "self-righteous" but you're just plain "righteous"?
    1 Samuel 16:7

But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
      So what you're saying that he might be pouring beer on fans in righteousness, we just don't know.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
        17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
        18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
        19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
        20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Comment

Righteous acts and righteousness are two very different things. Righteous acts are one indicator of righteousness, but I would hate to try and pass judgment on someone's righteousness based on their outward actions. Some pretty rotten people have gone on missions, paid tithing, etc. and I dare say some overall great people have done some very foolish things for whatever reason. Why the need to pass judgment on someone when you have such a limited knowledge of who they really are.
          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Righteous acts and righteousness are two very different things. Righteous acts are one indicator of righteousness, but I would hate to try and pass judgment on someone's righteousness based on their outward actions. Some pretty rotten people have gone on missions, paid tithing, etc. and I dare say some overall great people have done some very foolish things for whatever reason. Why the need to pass judgment on someone when you have such a limited knowledge of who they really are.
            You're talking one off examples. I'm talking in the aggregate. Should be pretty easy to make general observations like this.

Comment

You're talking one off examples. I'm talking in the aggregate. Should be pretty easy to make general observations like this.
              And I'm saying it is pretty dumb to make general observations like this. The fact that you mention "self righteousness" in your first post and then start spewing this judgmental foolishness speaks volumes.

Comment

He's not asking you to judge, he's saying God will judge.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Matthew 7:21-23

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the dwill of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
                  This message is dedicated to several active, card-carrying RMs that I know.

Comment

There is right and wrong. There must be a moral code which God authorizes.
                    Not necessarily.
                    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
                      Not necessarily.
                      Maybe we are all just little sea monkeys in GOd's aquarium. Look what they are doing now! An honor code at a university!
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I don't think it does anyone any good to keep this whole subject alive. We should be talking about a very close rivalry game decided on the last play, and about bowl matchups, next year's prospects, and the like. Instead we are talking about some very unfortunate post-game statements by one of the players. It's really gone on long enough, IMO, and more and more both sides of the argument are looking bad.

Just sayin'.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                          I don't think it does anyone any good to keep this whole subject alive. We should be talking about a very close rivalry game decided on the last play, and about bowl matchups, next year's prospects, and the like. Instead we are talking about some very unfortunate post-game statements by one of the players. It's really gone on long enough, IMO, and more and more both sides of the argument are looking bad.

Just sayin'.
                          This isn't about Hall's comments. This is about I'm sick of being called self-righteous by Ute fans. Get back to me when you have higher percentage of current recommend holders.

Comment

Do you not see the irony in following this:

This isn't about Hall's comments. This is about I'm sick of being called self-righteous by Ute fans.
                            with this?:

Get back to me when you have higher percentage of current recommend holders.

Comment

Do you not see the irony in following this:

with this?:
                              I don't call someone self-righteous just because they're more righteous than I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X