Question regarding Samoans and Tongans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding Samoans and Tongans

If I understand things correctly, a lot of Samoans and Tongans aren't especially fond of each other. Aside from the players from Hawaii, are most of BYU's polynesian players of Tongan descent or Samoan? Also, if BYU has more Tongans does that cause a number of Samoans to go to Utah (or vice versa)? I'm not sure if this is the case or not, but I was wondering if anyone knew.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

1. Sometimes
    2. Yes, with a few Maoris thrown in.
    3. No

Just in case I missread your question, for a long time BYU had more samoan players than tongans, but the tongan representation has crept up and maybe is even higher. For the utes, I'd venture still more samoans.

It's getting harder to tell with Samoans, as their surnames are not as distinctly Samoan any more. While the majority of TOngans still have Tongan surnames.

Interestingly, I've often thought that it is not the first generation immigrants that make the best football players, it's the second generation. The sons of the ones who immigrate.
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 12-02-2009, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X