Giving up sports (as a fan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving up sports (as a fan)

I have contemplated this before, and I don't know if I could do it..but, could you give up being a "sports fan" ...in general?

When I think about it, time, attention, money, events, scheduling...so much is placed on being a "fan" of this team or that team. In all actuality, it could be just a huge distraction.

I have been thinking that while sports, playing, and being a fan, has been a big part of my life...perhaps, I should focus the time I give towards sports towards something else more productive.

I can not fathom "sports/competition" in Heaven etc...it has got to be totally irrelevant there...yet is so big here. I wonder why I love it so much and devote time and energy toward this activity?

Could you actually "give up being a supporter/fan of sports" in general? Why are you a sports fan in the first place? A sense of belonging...an identity? Why?
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

As a kid growing up, my mom forced my dad to give up sports. I'm not totally sure why, but my dad reports that she would get mad at him for watching sports.

It wasn't 100% but it was pretty complete. I mostly listened to Mariners games on the radio by myself, my dad never coached a team that I was on, I watched a total of 1 football game with my dad until I was in college (an Illini game we went to that I'm pretty sure they lost), my dad didn't seem to have any real sports allegiances and no memorabilia anywhere up in the house.

He did coach a baseball team at some point in my youth, but it wasn't mine and was some sort of AAU or Pony League team. I do remember my parents going to a few Sonics games when I was a kid, but I never went with them and they didn't watch the games at home. I think he may have taken me to a few Mariners games but I actually remember going with other people besides him.

It's kinda strange looking back on it, considering my dad lettered in three sports in high school and he now likes to (gets to?) watch football games on tv. We even have a family picture of all of us in Cougar gear, even though neither of my parents graduated from there, my dad only attended one or two semesters there and we didn't watch the games at the stake center.

Thankfully, my wife is a huge college football fan and is not opposed to spending a Saturday with me parked on the couch or in bed watching college football. I can even get her to go to baseball games with me, even though she finds the sport really boring on tv. I really like my wife.

Comment

My dad never watched sports until I was born. Now he is a pretty big fan. Not really on my level as a fan but he is a big Vikings fan, has NFL Sunday Ticket to watch all of their games. He is also a Twins fan (his family is from Minnesota). He will follow BYU so he has something to talk with me about. But my mom really gets after him.

I do not think I could ever give up sports, its what gets me through the day.
      *Banned*

Comment

I don't know that I've been a "sports fan" for quite some time now, probably since before the Broncos won their first Super Bowl in '97. I remember after the game was over feeling happy, but also noticing that it didn't make me feel particularly fulfilled as such events had done in the past. This was curious because before then a win was the greatest thing ever and a loss would send me into a funk for days. I still watch sports, but 95% of the time the game will involve one of my teams and I'm definitely not as emotionally invested as I once was. I still enjoy it when they win and suffer a loss, but it never lasts longer than a few hours.
        There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
        Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
        …
        Tomorrow is Saturday
        And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

I am with you Landpoke. It used to be emotionally charged for me when BYU won a big game etc. I guess it still is...I mean, when BYU took down Oklahoma, I remember texting "BYU WINS! BYU WINS! BYU WINS!" ....and was totally stoked.

But, in most cases, these days, I pretty much appreciate "good athletes" competing, showcasing their talents, and the battle of strategy, gameplans etc.

It's especially intriguing for me when there is an underdog involved, ala BYU vs. OK....etc. as I love it when the underdog can take out the favorite.

But, I enjoy "athletes" almost as much, or more than the "team" these days. But, as I think about how much time for watching on TV, going to, preparing for a game, travel, gear, food, etc.... I'm debating within myself if it is even worth it anymore.

I have some great great memories relating to sporting events etc. of which I'm thankful for... but, I am am pondering the import of it all going forward, and why I dedicate myself and time to being a fan.
          "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Comment

Originally posted by Borg View Post
            I am with you Landpoke. It used to be emotionally charged for me when BYU won a big game etc. I guess it still is...I mean, when BYU took down Oklahoma, I remember texting "BYU WINS! BYU WINS! BYU WINS!" ....and was totally stoked.

But, in most cases, these days, I pretty much appreciate "good athletes" competing, showcasing their talents, and the battle of strategy, gameplans etc.

It's especially intriguing for me when there is an underdog involved, ala BYU vs. OK....etc. as I love it when the underdog can take out the favorite.

But, I enjoy "athletes" almost as much, or more than the "team" these days. But, as I think about how much time for watching on TV, going to, preparing for a game, travel, gear, food, etc.... I'm debating within myself if it is even worth it anymore.

I have some great great memories relating to sporting events etc. of which I'm thankful for... but, I am am pondering the import of it all going forward, and why I dedicate myself and time to being a fan.

I hardly ever watch pro sports any more outside of golf. College football when it is a good match up. I watch pro football when a BYU player is on one of the teams.

I watch the Jazz while I channel surf.

Comment

Unless you use all the time you gain from not watching sports to do service or spend time with your family, just channeling it into another hobby isn't any more productive. People love sports because it is a fun hobby, the same reason people engage in any hobby.

Comment

I would die before giving up sports.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                  Unless you use all the time you gain from not watching sports to do service or spend time with your family, just channeling it into another hobby isn't any more productive. People love sports because it is a fun hobby, the same reason people engage in any hobby.
                  Very good point. I suppose it all depends on what you fill that void with...whether it would be a "productive" swap or not.

Hmmmm.....

Comment

I occaionally watch Hockey on tv more rarely baseball. But get me a good football or basketball game I am a happy man. 130 of the Doctrine and Covenants talks about the same sociality existing here as there. If we have worlds without end it will always be super bowl sunday or nba finals on many of our planets. Worlds without number 365 days a year. Ought to be sports. We will know the outcome.

Being the creator we get to make our own rules I am sure on sabbath observance and such for our children. There is a conference talk but a ga that says get me a good football or basketball game and I am a happy man and the Ga mentions Broncos, Nuggets, Jazz and Cougars and says happy when they win disapponted when they lose.

With watcfhing a game on tv you can actually get things done around the house during breaks or while watching the game though some of it is just staring at the tube.

Snowmobiling, Fishing, Skiing, Bowling what are you producing besides enjoyment at the event. No household chores are getting done there. Fishing does produce things though.

March Madness and football season when I can I probably spend more time watching sports than I should. Justify it Im not giving all the time to tv its just on. I would hate to give up sports.

I go to all the local home High School games as well as road games when I can. In Rexburg scheduled dates around Viking Ball games. Went to all home games in towns. Hated working on Saturdays at di during football season for that reason. Went to morp on girls choice to attend game. Didn't mention that to my date. Going on wrong day won't keep you out of ck.

A creep I worked with that hated sports wanted me to go on a double date with him. Ricks had a game and I took mydate there. He was a 32 year old that was dating a 47 year old divorcee. What Ricks co ed would enjoy that with him anyway. I am passionate about sports and hope I can watch them when I die or at least watch and play them when I am ressurected.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      I would die before giving up sports.
                      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by Borg View Post
                        I have contemplated this before, and I don't know if I could do it..but, could you give up being a "sports fan" ...in general?

When I think about it, time, attention, money, events, scheduling...so much is placed on being a "fan" of this team or that team. In all actuality, it could be just a huge distraction.

I have been thinking that while sports, playing, and being a fan, has been a big part of my life...perhaps, I should focus the time I give towards sports towards something else more productive.

I can not fathom "sports/competition" in Heaven etc...it has got to be totally irrelevant there...yet is so big here. I wonder why I love it so much and devote time and energy toward this activity?

Could you actually "give up being a supporter/fan of sports" in general? Why are you a sports fan in the first place? A sense of belonging...an identity? Why?
                        On the one hand, deriving pleasure, excitement, and identity from the athletic exploits of a bunch of kids is a little derivative. On the other, it's hugely entertaining. I imagine the trick is to keep it all in balance. Like others in this thread, I appreciate competition and improvement more than anything.

I am involved with sports constantly - I teach sport history, attend conferences, write papers, etc. on ancient and modern sport. Sometimes it's just a job and, like any job, it grinds and I find that I need a break. It's made being a "fan" different for me, since it's hard to turn off the critical/scholarly aspects and ramifications that I've been honing for the past decade.

There's a whole theory about the reason people take sports so seriously is that deep-down, we know that there are no real consequences for a win or a loss. Nobody is going to die. Nobody's city will be razed; nobody's children will be sold into slavery. It's fun to take it so seriously precisely because it isn't that important.
                        "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Working...
                        X