Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU in 2010..........

Lets talk about the cougars next year.

The O-line- loses one starter in RJ Willing, they get back another starter in Jason Speredon and a projected starter in Jesse Taufi. If Braden Brown stays at tackle he will have a full spring and fall camp to learn the position and get in shape. Houston Reynolds will be back from injury and Manaki Vaitai returns from his mission to add depth. We should be better along the O-line.

Running backs- depends 100% on Harvey, however we do have AJ Moore, Drew Phillips, Algernon Brown and please lord Josh Quezada potentially coming in. JJ will obviously be the main guy but can he carry a full load? I am not so sure, Anthony Heimuli and Peni Maakafi if they do not go on missions will be relied on to play fullback but I think both leave on missions and we see Kariya become the main guy at fullback and Malosi Te'o and JJ carry the majority of the load as the running backs.

WR- We return everyone, I expect Chambers to get better, Jacobsen to get better being further removed from the mission. Ashworth is a solid possession guy, and Hafoka really came on late in the season. The future here is as bright as BYU has ever seen Ross Apo comes in and plays right away in my opinion. I think Bret Thompson goes on a mission, but Cody Hoffman has looked great on the scout team, Mitch Matthews is a weapon BYU has never had 6'6 target in the redzone. Jordan Smith received rave reviews before leaving on his mission (6'4), and Jake Murphy (6'5) is another huge weapon. BYU is going very big at the wideout position. We shoudl be able to find enough servicable guys in this group.

TE- 2 huge losses here. Devin Mahina, Austin Holt, Braden Brown (potentially), Richard Wilson (potentially), and Mike Muehlman should all have a chance to contribute and were all highly touted coming out of highschool. I definitely see us going with a single TE next year as opposed to the two TE sets we ran the past 2 seasons. Hopefully someone emerges but not a ton of experience and a real question mark right now.

QB- Similar to tight end, no experience here but tons of hype. Jake Heaps, Jason Munns and James Lark were all 4 star or higher recruits. Riley Nelson has had the most recent full year in the system. This is a toss up but I really see Heaps winning and either Lark or Munns (most likely Munns) transferring.

DL- We lose everyone along the D-line that was significant, Jorgensen one of the best BYU has ever had, Denney, and Tialavea along with Hola are all gone. Putnam, Fuga and possibly So'oto (if he receives is medical redshirt) are the lone players in the 2 deep that will be here next year, If Afutiti gets it together academically that will help soften the blow he would have been a huge contributor this year. I think those three are a solid foundation but one of the incoming highly touted freshman will be expected to contribute right away, Jordan Afo (2 star), Kona Schwenke (4 star), Alani Fua (4 star), Hauli Jamora (2 star), Tayo Fabuluje (3 star), Tuni Kanuch (4 star), Travis Tuiloma (2 star) several of these guys will really need to step up. As you can see BYU knew they were in trouble for this season and recruited very heavy along the D-line. I think the most ready to step in and play right away are Kanuch and Jamora.

LB- Weird that one of our weaknesses last year is actually one of our strengths next year. Jordan Pendelton will be first team All-MWC the next two years and I will even say he wins MWC DPOY by the time its all said and done. He has all of the ability and now just needs to learn the position. Kelly Poppinga told me he was going to be better than Kehl. Brandon Ogletree is another young stud that got valuable experience this year and made his mark on this team, he will fill in just fine for Bauman in the middle. Masi Tuitama, Shane Hunter, Jordan Atkinson and Grant Nelson all saw time this year and were in the rotation they will help add to the depth. COming in we have Kyle Van Noy who I think will start opposite Pendelton from Day 1, Zac Stout is also highly touted and has the ability to play right away. Sae Tautu, Joey Owens and Teu Kautai I think all leave on missions. I really could see BYU starting Pendelton on the strongside with Ogletree and Stout in the middle and Van Noy on the weakside. Young but extremely talented.

DBs- another weakness that may be the strength of our D this year. Rich is back for another year and will continue to lead the secondary. Brian Logan and Brandon Bradley return and should keep getting better. Lee Aguirre, Corby Eason, Robbie Buckner and Garrett Nicholson will all provide much needed depth. Coming in we have Khori Gaines (11 picks his senior year in Georgia) and Jordan Johnson (a 3 star recruit with Big East offers) who if needed can play. The Safeties we will need to replace Scott Johnson but I think Jray Galea'i can fill in. I wish Bills was not going on a mission as he would start for sure. BYU is looking at a few JC safeties and that Hanneman kid from Lonepeak was brought in to play safety, we really need to add some depth at that position the loss of Shiloah really hurts.

K/P- both Payne and Stephenson are back.

We will be really young next year but as talented and hyped as any team that I can remember. The question is will it equal wins.
    Last edited by cougjunkie; 12-01-2009, 08:15 AM.
    *Banned*

We really have a guy named Algernon on next years team? My new favorite Cougar.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Thanks, CJ.

A few questions:

No chance that So'oto gets another year?

Which of those big receivers gets moved to TE?

Any chance Rich gets move to LBer? It would be nice to add more speed there.

Are we going to get Quezada?
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
        Thanks, CJ.

A few questions:

No chance that So'oto gets another year?

Which of those big receivers gets moved to TE?

Any chance Rich gets move to LBer? It would be nice to add more speed there.

Are we going to get Quezada?
        I am not sure on So'oto I think he might now that I think about it he was not given a blanket at senior day. So they must be anticipating another year which would be huge for BYU.

I think Murphy will most likely play TE he has the big body for it.

I think with us losing Scott Johnson and the depth we have at LB Rich will stay at Safety we need some experience in the secondary.

Quezada is up in the air, he was in Washington last week and they are now in his top 3. He is really up in the air at this point.
        *Banned*

Comment

You seem to indicate that you think that we will be playing the 3-4 again next year. Do you think this will be the case, with all the talk of going to the 4-3?

Also, Richard Wilson is the one from Nevada who got busted for the DUI, right? What has he been doing with the year off? He was never planning on a mission, right?

I too wish Craig Bills were staying around. I've been watching him light some fools up on special teams and wish we could have him for next year.

If everyone lived up to their hype, we would have a killer team. Of course, this never happens, but it will be neat to watch who materializes.

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
            You seem to indicate that you think that we will be playing the 3-4 again next year. Do you think this will be the case, with all the talk of going to the 4-3?

Also, Richard Wilson is the one from Nevada who got busted for the DUI, right? What has he been doing with the year off? He was never planning on a mission, right?

I too wish Craig Bills were staying around. I've been watching him light some fools up on special teams and wish we could have him for next year.

If everyone lived up to their hype, we would have a killer team. Of course, this never happens, but it will be neat to watch who materializes.
            Kyle Van Noy is the one that was busted for a DUI, he spent it gray shirting and working out. He said he has gained about 10 pounds of muscle and is ready to go. He spent some time over the summer with the Heaps family as well.

I could see a 4-3 possibly in 2011, but we are to thin along the D-line this year to go 4-3 right now. They are definitely recruiting for it though. The only downside is we have some stud linebackers on missions right now and coming in to the program so it seems like sticking with a 3-4 might work best.

I agree their will be plenty of busts. But for once we can afford a few of those.
            *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              Kyle Van Noy is the one that was busted for a DUI, he spent it gray shirting and working out. He said he has gained about 10 pounds of muscle and is ready to go. He spent some time over the summer with the Heaps family as well.

I could see a 4-3 possibly in 2011, but we are to thin along the D-line this year to go 4-3 right now. They are definitely recruiting for it though. The only downside is we have some stud linebackers on missions right now and coming in to the program so it seems like sticking with a 3-4 might work best.

I agree their will be plenty of busts. But for once we can afford a few of those.
              Whoops, sorry to Richard Wilson if he reads this. Didn't mean to drag you into that.

That's good that Van Noy has been putting in the time. The gray shirt is a little confusing to me. Does that mean he wasn't enrolled in school, or that he wasn't officially listed as part of the team, but they let him work out and practice anyway?

I like that we seem to have a strong lb corp coming in. That has been a spot that really hurt us this last year, as the 3-4 requires really good play from lbs that can cover the rbs and the receivers in the flats.

It really seems like this incoming class is pretty tight. That really helps out a lot, imo, if you can get everybody really working together from day one. I expect good things from this class. Definitely one of the top classes BYU has ever seen. In my dream world, I would add the receiver from Heap's hs team for 2011 and then Manti when he gets back from a mission in like a year

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                Whoops, sorry to Richard Wilson if he reads this. Didn't mean to drag you into that.

That's good that Van Noy has been putting in the time. The gray shirt is a little confusing to me. Does that mean he wasn't enrolled in school, or that he wasn't officially listed as part of the team, but they let him work out and practice anyway?

I like that we seem to have a strong lb corp coming in. That has been a spot that really hurt us this last year, as the 3-4 requires really good play from lbs that can cover the rbs and the receivers in the flats.

It really seems like this incoming class is pretty tight. That really helps out a lot, imo, if you can get everybody really working together from day one. I expect good things from this class. Definitely one of the top classes BYU has ever seen. In my dream world, I would add the receiver from Heap's hs team for 2011 and then Manti when he gets back from a mission in like a year
                Basically it means they do not enroll in school and his eligibility clock does not start until he enrolls which I believe Heaps, Apo, Van Noy and Stout are all coming in January.

If we landed Kasen Williams, Jake Heaps deserves a job as the recruiting coordinator and head coach the second his football career is over. He is up to close to 40 offers.

Watching manti this year I think he is very good but he gained quite a bit of weight and looked kind of slow this year. If USC would actually let their guys go on missions I would love a shot at Kaveinga. Maybe we can steal Hamani Stevens from Oregon.
                *Banned*

Comment

Junkie, I saw that BYU has a bunch of two-star guys on its Rivals list. What's up with that?
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Great info, CJ. Thanks.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Any chance Bradley gets moved to safety?

Anybody going to compete with Stephenson for punting duties? Though he seemed solid in the beginning of the year, he's been really bad the last half of the season.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Werent both Mahaina and Holt supposed to be big deals at TE coming out of HS?
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          Junkie, I saw that BYU has a bunch of two-star guys on its Rivals list. What's up with that?
                          You have to fill in the holes with somebody. We are not USC or Florida.

A quick reminder Bryan Kehl, Curtis Brown, Harvey Unga, Andrew George, Dennis Pitta, RJ Willling, Brett Denney, Mike Reed, Manase Tonga, Jan Jorgensen, and Max Hall were all 1 or 2 star guys.

Also on rivals we have a bunch of 3 and 4 star guys too. In fact we have 7 two stars on rivals compared to 19 three stars or higher. Also Rivals has us ranked as the 25th class in the country so we are doing just fine on both sites.
                          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            Werent both Mahaina and Holt supposed to be big deals at TE coming out of HS?
                            Huge commits. Holt was a 5 star TE, played in the US army game and had offers from everyone. Mahina was a 4 star that had us and UCLA as his final two and we won out. A lot of people think Mahina might end up playing DE, but we will see.

Kyle Van Noy
                            Richard Wilson
                            Austin Holt
                            Devin Mahina
                            were all 4 star or higher tight ends.

Bryan Sampson
                            Kaneakua Friel
                            Braden Brown
                            Alani Fua

were all 3 star or higher tight ends.

Not all of them will stay at TE obviously but we are recruiting the positon well, and starts really dont matter all that much as Coats was a 3 star, Harline a 1 star, Pitta a walk on, and George a 1 star. Not to mention Chad Lewis was a walk on and Mili would have been the equivalent of a 2-3 star today.
                            *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                              Any chance Bradley gets moved to safety?

Anybody going to compete with Stephenson for punting duties? Though he seemed solid in the beginning of the year, he's been really bad the last half of the season.
                              I could see Bradley moving to safety if someone does not step up, but he is just not a great tackler and I worry about him playing that position.
                              *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                              X