My day in Provo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My day in Provo

A few comments about my day in Provo on Saturday.

First: The game was great. A lot of fun. I was in a section with very few Ute fans but the ones that were there were received in good humor and no one seemed to be in a fighting mood. It was a beautiful night perfect for football.

Second: Triplet knows his stuff on buying scalped tickets. He gave me some pointers before the game and he was spot on. I appreciate his help. I got decent seats for a decent price.

Third: I am no football expert, but Wynn looked pretty good to me. His long ball is very nice. He was overthrowing a bit, it is true, but he also had his bell rung a couple of times and that surely didn’t help.

Fourth: The stadium is really clean. And nice, for the most part. I wish the replay screens were bigger and I wish they wouldn’t show those goofy Cosmo videos. The last time I went to a game I was with my then 11 year old and he loved the video. This time my 17 year old daughter thought it was stupid.

Fifth: Does anyone else think the Ute fight song sounds like the Mickey Mouse theme song? And why was the Ute band playing blithely along while a BYU player was on the ground hurt? And why was the BYU band so, well, not loud or exciting? I was disappointed that the bands had a number together at halftime. I was hoping they would get into a brawl with brass weapons. Maybe next year they could do some sort of band competition involving colliding trombone sections and beer throwing.

Sixth: what was up with putting Max out on the wing for the first two plays? What good does that do? No one respected his presence there, all it seemed to do was remove all doubt about it being a running play. Isn’t the point of the wildcat to give the offense an extra blocker to one side or another? A very disappointing way to begin, IMO.

Seventh: The only dispute I saw between utes and cougars was as I was leaving the field (yes, I went down there afterwards). Some square-jawed blond-haired Scandinavian descendant wearing a BYU sweatshirt was being sternly lectured about being a piss poor (his words) representative of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by some square-jawed blond-haired Scandinavian descendant wearing a Ute sweatshirt. Everyone nearby was very nervous that a full scale PPI was about to break out.

Eighth: Who will join me in talking up a collection to buy Reed a new chin strap so he can keep his freaking helmet on for more than two plays in a row?

Ninth: It would have been a perfect day if only the Utes hadn’t been throwing so much beer. JOKING! It was a great day and I am happy the cougars won. Both teams played well.

Tenth: Why is the traffic so bad gettign out of there arfter the game? It is easier driving out fo memroial stadium at Cal than it is out of Provo, and that just makes no sense. They need to get the cops to take control of the streets and get people out of there.

Finally, I thik there should be a law that it is illegal to have a car with both Utah adn BYU flags. It offends my sensibilities.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Originally posted by creekster View Post

Tenth: Why is the traffic so bad gettign out of there arfter the game? It is easier driving out fo memroial stadium at Cal than it is out of Provo, and that just makes no sense. They need to get the cops to take control of the streets and get people out of there.
    I've found a pretty good spot to park that is pretty close, but seems to be much quicker to get in and out of. More and more people are catching on to it, so I don't care to share.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
      I've found a pretty good spot to park that is pretty close, but seems to be much quicker to get in and out of. More and more people are catching on to it, so I don't care to share.
      That works well for the regulars. But for a schmuck like me who only gets to one or two games a yar in Provo finding the right spot is hit or miss. It seems like they should be able to get the provo and orem PDs to cooperate in moving people en masse out of town. right?
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Everyone nearby was very nervous that a full scale PPI was about to break out.
        An excellent line in a fine summary.

Comment

A
          Fifth: Does anyone else think the Ute fight song sounds like the Mickey Mouse theme song?
          Of course it does and ours sounds like a hymn. Much like our fight song though, I'm often taken back to some of my most precious childhood memories.

"M-I-C...K-E-Y...M-O-U-S-E"
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Well done, creek. I'm glad you had a fun time.

Comment

I was disappointed that the bands had a number together at halftime. I was hoping they would get into a brawl with brass weapons. Maybe next year they could do some sort of band competition involving colliding trombone sections and beer throwing.
              That's not beer...they're just emptying the spit valves.

Also, can't the woodwinds participate? Those piccolos are deadly.

Comment

Finally, I thik there should be a law that it is illegal to have a car with both Utah adn BYU flags. It offends my sensibilities.
                I noticed that by far the unhappiest fans leaving the Oklahoma-Oklahoma State game on Saturday were the ones married to a fan of the opposite team.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                  That's not beer...they're just emptying the spit valves.

Also, can't the woodwinds participate? Those piccolos are deadly.
                  See, but for the ccalrinets (and, really, who wants to invite them to a fight?) the instruments are all metal anyway. So everybody gets in!
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Nothing compares to trying to leave the Rose Bowl. Seriously that is the worst stadium in the history of man kind to get in and out of.
                    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      Nothing compares to trying to leave the Rose Bowl. Seriously that is the worst stadium in the history of man kind to get in and out of.
                      So it's just Pac-10 envy?
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Third: I am no football expert, but Wynn looked pretty good to me. His long ball is very nice. He was overthrowing a bit, it is true, but he also had his bell rung a couple of times and that surely didn’t help.
                          I think he's got to connect on at least one of the 10 or so deep balls that he threw to be able to say he throws a good deep ball.

LOL, was it a white SUV? I was stuck behind a white SUV with Nevada plates, BYU and Utah flags, Utah helmet sticker, BYU trailer hitch, Utah themed vanity plates, and a BYU license plate holder.
                          "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

And why was the Ute band playing blithely along while a BYU player was on the ground hurt?
                            I was very dismayed to hear them playing one of their songs while the player was on the ground.

For the most part, no problems with the Ute fans around me (a surprising amount, considering I was sitting around a bunch of students). All very respectful; cheered when their team did well, acted like generally good people, etc. My two complaints were, one, with the stupid band that played when the player was down hurt (talk about classless) and two, the kid who was with about four of his buddies that would make signs and gestures to the BYU fans if Utah came up with a stop or a big play. He would just look around and try to call out all the BYU fans. It was fun to watch him be quiet after the 1st quarter, and even more fun to watch his heart break in OT. I really, really, really hate smug people and don't mind one bit watching them get their comeuppance. Besides that, all good.

Comment

A few comments about my day in Provo on Saturday.

Fifth: Does anyone else think the Ute fight song sounds like the Mickey Mouse theme song? And why was the Ute band playing blithely along while a BYU player was on the ground hurt? And why was the BYU band so, well, not loud or exciting? I was disappointed that the bands had a number together at halftime. I was hoping they would get into a brawl with brass weapons. Maybe next year they could do some sort of band competition involving colliding trombone sections and beer throwing.
                              LOL. Did you say hello to HFNW?

http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...77&postcount=2
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                              X