A few more thoughts after watching the game again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few more thoughts after watching the game again

1. The royal blue was awesome. Thank you Bronco for doing something for the fans. Very cool.

2. What the hell was that wildcat thing with Unga the first two plays? Way to put Max Hall in a 3rd and long the first time he takes a snap.

3. Hall's arm strength was a major problem the whole night. He never had anyone open, and with his weak arm, it made it even worse. I don't think he had that bad of a night. There was just simply nobody ever open. With Utah's CB's on the line of scrimmage playing bump and run, you have to break some long ones to make them respect you, but between our lack of athleticism at WR and Hall's arm, that was impossible. Major major major props to him for throwing balls away from the defenders even if it meant an incompletion. Zero INT's was the stat of the night.

4. Still upset about the punt on 4th and 5 at the 35 yard line. That is just ridiculously overly conservative play that is never the right call.

5. Watching in the stadium I didn't get a good look at most of the personal foul calls. Watching on TV, I thought the ref's called it too tight. Several of those were normal pushing and shoving stuff that happens every game. The call on Tonga cost us a TD and it was a weak call. There were a few others on both sides that were weak. Jorgensen's jawing the official after not getting a holding call was also especially weak. It's extremely rare to get a personal foul call on complaining to the ref's.

6. I wasn't impressed as others with Hill's defensive scheme. Utah didn't do a good job blocking. We didn't do that much different on our blitz schemes. Dropping Pendleton back occasionally into a deep zone was the only new tweak I noticed. It didn't look that great, either. He dropped 20 yards back into a prevent-type deep zone and there was always stuff open underneath, Wynn just couldn't hit anyone.

7. Speaking of Wynn, he looked good the first two drives, but after that--nothing. Any other QB in the MWC would have won that game for Utah. He had receivers open on every play. It was really bizarre watching this game seeing Hall having absolutely no one open and Wynn with everyone open, but both having the same results. We were really lucky Wynn sucked in that game. I understand freshman improve over time, but I'm going to stick my neck out to say I'm not going to be too worried about Wynn until maybe he's a senior. He has a long ways to go.

8. Our defensive personnel. This is why playing in the MWC hurts us so much. We get used to beating shitty teams like Wyoming and UNLV and never realize how bad we are until we go up against a decent team. Utah's DB's are each a thousand times better than ours. We can't get any better without a defense that can make some stops against solid offensive teams. And we won't do that with the secondary personnel in the program. I don't see much hope at all on the horizon in that area. The game is becoming more and more a passing game. We can't expect opposing QB's to suck in order to win games like we did through the 90's.

9. Not calling the timeout with 1:06 to go. I'm OK with it now after watching again and thinking about it some more, but not for the reason Bronco gave. At that point, the worst thing to happen would be for Utah to go for it and win the game with a TD. Calling a time out gives KW a chance to think about that and maybe reverse the decision to kick it. Especially since he's rethinking his probabilities with the time out. Safer to just let the clock run, let them kick the field goal, and regroup in overtime.

10. I was down watching warm up's early and a couple fat blondes with heavy make up dressed in full Ute gear that looked like twins were on the BYU sidelines with the family members that were out on the field for when the team ran out. Later I saw them on TV on the replay. Were they from the Whittingham family? If so, I wish they were the ones that took the elbow to the face not KW's wife.

11. Kinahan's a dickhead. Did anyone see him on TV last night praising himself effusively about how brilliant he was in getting Hall to crack with his interview questions? I usually laugh at him (not an LOL more of a smirk) on the radio when he's doing his rivalry schtick, but I think he crossed the line this time. He got Collie to say his thing, now he got Hall to say his thing. He thinks he's so clever. Haha, you got over on us P.K. But the thing that crosses the line is that he's on TV acting serious calling out BYU for how awful what Hall did was, and how he should be reprimanded with a game suspension. Dick.

12. If you are in one of these categories you are a loser:
    --Ute fan who was totally and completely offended at what Hall said and takes it personally
    --BYU fan who thinks Hall brought shame to your university and church and needs to apologize
    --BYU fan who thinks the U had it coming and is glad Hall said it, and thinks the U needs to clean up their act

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    7. Speaking of Wynn, he looked good the first two drives, but after that--nothing. Any other QB in the MWC would have won that game for Utah. He had receivers open on every play.
    Donovan Porterie, Grant Stucker, and Tim Jefferson would not have won that game.

Good observations otherwise.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about PK. He and monson have ego's that rival anyone I have every known or read about.

I used to pass it off as their act as entertainers, but if that is what it is, it is a terribly bad act. They render their opinions worthless.

Comment

I agree with everything. santos. Take that for what it's worth.

Comment

Finally some game analysis.

Wynn for some reason was not ready for that game and think it was psychologically somehow. As others have said, David Reed was behind the coverage all afternoon and Wynn clearly saw him and tried to get it to him and couldn't hit him. To me that was maybe the biggest deciding factor in the game. It wouldn't have taken completing more than a coupe of those. I have also been surprised to hear people say they thought Wynn was on the run. I thought that he had all day to throw. The one big hit he took early came from holding the ball a good five or six seconds and getting popped from the side as he haltingly stepped up into the pocket. That is the part that bothered me: he had plenty of time, had an open guy, recognized it in plenty of time and just flat out missed.

A close second in terms of importance was BYU's red zone defense which was very good.

The whole game was very chippy with lots of penalties and it really disrupted the flow. I would be curious to know what Jan said to the ref because he is in his ear for a good 10-15 yards as they are both walking and they ref seems perfectly calm and is listening and then very suddenly (they had a close up angle) his facial expression changes and he grabs for his flag so fast that he can't get it out at first. I don't think he was itchy to throw it or got worn down, I think a particular phrase or word got used and he immediately reacted. That is how it looked anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            I would be curious to know what Jan said to the ref
            I heard from someone who knows Jan that he said "I hate all refs! I hate the world of referreeing! I hate the whole reffing institution!"

Sorry for taking away from the game analysis.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
              I heard from someone who knows Jan that he said "I hate all refs! I hate the world of referreeing! I hate the whole reffing institution!"

Sorry for taking away from the game analysis.
              Makes you wonder what the guy must have done to his family.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                7. Speaking of Wynn, he looked good the first two drives, but after that--nothing. Any other QB in the MWC would have won that game for Utah. He had receivers open on every play. It was really bizarre watching this game seeing Hall having absolutely no one open and Wynn with everyone open, but both having the same results. We were really lucky Wynn sucked in that game. I understand freshman improve over time, but I'm going to stick my neck out to say I'm not going to be too worried about Wynn until maybe he's a senior. He has a long ways to go.
                Wynn simply folded. He cracked. I expected that from a freshman. He had plenty of time to throw but he was either scared of getting his bell rung again (which happened a couple times after those first two drives) or he put too much pressure on himself.

Wynn seems to have the physical tools of a good QB and will probably mature but let's hope that BYU is to Wynn what Utah was to Hall.....kryptonite.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

It turns out Wynn also had a severely sprained ankle through the second half, so I'm sure he felt like he couldn't scramble if he needed to.

U-Ute

Comment

Probably beat up his brother.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
                      It turns out Wynn also had a severely sprained ankle through the second half, so I'm sure he felt like he couldn't scramble if he needed to.

U-Ute
                      Interesting. I thought he played better in the second half. Kudos to him for not only playing on the sprained ankle, but for playing better hurt than healthy.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

I think the ref didn't invite his mom to a Pampered Chef party.

Comment

One more item I was going to mention.

Up 20-6, with all the momentum, we get the ball back. Hall is feeling confident. I said to my son. "I bet you we drive down and score here. With Hall, confidence is everything. He's got the pressure off, he's up 2 TD's. He's feeling confident. I guarantee we score. It's over."

First play, Hall audibles into a sweep to Tonga. (Tangent: a couple weeks ago a caller to the KSL post game show said they noticed EVERY time Hall audibles, it's into a run. I'm not sure if that is accurate or not, but it seems right. Lyons theorized that maybe he was just changing the play from a run to one side to a run on the other, and maybe that's all the authority he has? That doesn't sound right. Anyway, an odd observation if true. End of tangent.) Why a sweep to Tonga? Does a sweep to Tonga EVER work? Terrible, terrible decision. If it was Hall audibiling out of a pass to a Tonga sweep, then that was a chicken shit call at a critical moment.

Tonga loses two yards and they spot him with a five yard loss. WTF?? What a horrible spot. Go back and watch if you don't believe me. Worse spot I think I've ever seen. How do you miss a spot by three yards??

2nd and 15, Hall nails a perfect 1st down pass to Ashworth, he drops it. ARGH!

3rd down, Hall scrambles and gains not enough for first down. Punt.

That was a very frustrating set of downs.

Comment

One more thing. Why wasn't Unga in the game in overtime? He ran the ball on the last play of scrimmage and looked fine. Also, why did Unga carry the ball on the last play of scrimmage? Did the coaches forget about the UCLA Vegas bowl?

Comment

After hearing how the Utah corners worked hard at jamming the BYU receivers at the line and throwing off the timing of the routes, I was reminded of how the Patriots did that against the Colts back in... 2004? I think? Anyway, it worked very well then, too, to the point that the NFL instituted rule changes.

If Utah can legally do this, why don't more teams try it? If I'm New Mexico, why not teach my corners to jam the BYU receivers at the line?

Comment

Working...
                              X