• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest BCS poll

http://www.footballfoundation.org/pd...W.11.29.09.pdf

TCU 4
    BYU 14
    Utah 25
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Can I just say that these avatars are really confusing me.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
      Me too.
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Also, can I say that I'm really curious what the voters would do in the unlikely event Texas were upset. Would they really let TCU play in the game? What alternative do they have? A Florida-Alabama rematch?

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
          You're not alone. It's causing me to actually have to read the names of the posters.

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
            You're not alone. It's causing me to actually have to read the names of the posters.
            I know...but then I just get paranoid. What if they're really switching the names and not the avatars? You never know...

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
              Can I just say that it's nice to have three teams in the BCS top 25.

Comment

Originally posted by Tokyo Ute View Post
                Can I just say that it's nice to have three teams in the BCS top 25.
                Babs might bite your head off if you imply that it shows well for our conference.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  Babs might bite your head off if you imply that it shows well for our conference.
                  But is it really Babs?

Comment

BYU as of right now has at-large eligibility.

NT: Florida/Alabama vs. Texas
                    Rose: Oregon vs. Ohio State
                    Orange: Georgia Tech vs. Cincy (3rd at-large selection)
                    Fiesta: Penn State (2nd at-large selection) vs. TCU (4th at-large)
                    Sugar: Florida/Alabama (1st at-large selection) vs. Virginia Tech (5th at-large)

Essentially the Fiesta for it's second spot after Penn State can only choose between TCU, Boise State, Virginia Tech or BYU. Assuming it picks the best opponent for the big ticket team (Penn State), the Sugar is left with Boise State, V-Tech or BYU. The Sugar should pick Boise State to avoid the shitty rematch game between Alabama and V-Tech, but I'm thinking the folks at the Sugar don't want to have anything to do with another non-BCS team.

BTW, if the Fiesta people wanted to guarantee a sell-out, they'd pick BYU to play Penn State. But, I think TCU is an attractive opponent that creates an interesting match-up for Penn State.
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post

NT: Florida/Alabama vs. Texas
                      Rose: Oregon vs. Ohio State
                      Orange: Georgia Tech vs. Cincy (3rd at-large selection)
                      Fiesta: Penn State (2nd at-large selection) vs. TCU (4th at-large)
                      Sugar: Florida/Alabama (1st at-large selection) vs. Virginia Tech (5th at-large)

Essentially the Fiesta for it's second spot after Penn State can only choose between TCU, Boise State, Virginia Tech or BYU. Assuming it picks the best opponent for the big ticket team (Penn State), the Sugar is left with Boise State, V-Tech or BYU. The Sugar should pick Boise State to avoid the shitty rematch game between Alabama and V-Tech, but I'm thinking the folks at the Sugar don't want to have anything to do with another non-BCS team.

BTW, if the Fiesta people wanted to guarantee a sell-out, they'd pick BYU to play Penn State. But, I think TCU is an attractive opponent that creates an interesting match-up for Penn State.
                      That doesn't make sense. I thought that a non bcs team ranked in the top 12 was given an autobid. Doesn't that mean that TCU would be an autobid, not just an at large selection?
                      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                        That doesn't make sense. I thought that a non bcs team ranked in the top 12 was given an autobid. Doesn't that mean that TCU would be an autobid, not just an at large selection?
                        correct. but they are selected in the at-large process, not automatically assigned to any specific bowl. So Fiesta could pass on TCU in favor of BYU, but then one of the later bowls would be obligated to take the Horned Frogs.

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                          They get an autobid, but they are not assigned to a specific game. The SEC champ goes to the Sugar Bowl automatically-unless they play for the NC.

Cincy would be an at-large as the winner of the big least is not assigned to a specific game as well. As I understand it, the Rose Bowl gets the Pac-10 and Big 10 champ, the Fiesta gets the big 12 champ, the Sugar the SEC champ , and the Orange the ACC champ, the rest are listed as "at-large", with the big least champ and any non-BCS autobid guaranteed 2 of the slots.
                          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            I thought that the at-large pool expanded from the top 12 to the top 14 only when there are fewer than 10 automatic qualifiers in the top 12. http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility

Presently, 10 of the top 12 qualify:
                            1 Florida (SEC 1)
                            2 Alabama (SEC 2)
                            3 Texas (Big 12 1)
                            4 TCU (Highest ranked mid-major)
                            5 Cincinnati (Big East 1)
                            6 Boise State (FAIL- only one mid-major "must" be selected)
                            7 Oregon (Pac-10 1)
                            8 Ohio State (Big 10 1)
                            9 Iowa (Big 10 2)
                            10 Georgia Tech (ACC 1)
                            11 Penn State (FAIL- only two teams from one conference may be selected)
                            12 Virginia Tech (ACC 2)

Comment

Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
                              I thought that the at-large pool expanded from the top 12 to the top 14 only when there are fewer than 10 automatic qualifiers in the top 12. http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility

Presently, 10 of the top 12 qualify:
                              1 Florida (SEC 1)
                              2 Alabama (SEC 2)
                              3 Texas (Big 12 1)
                              4 TCU (Highest ranked mid-major)
                              5 Cincinnati (Big East 1)
                              6 Boise State (FAIL- only one mid-major "must" be selected)
                              7 Oregon (Pac-10 1)
                              8 Ohio State (Big 10 1)
                              9 Iowa (Big 10 2)
                              10 Georgia Tech (ACC 1)
                              11 Penn State (FAIL- only two teams from one conference may be selected)
                              12 Virginia Tech (ACC 2)
                              In the case of Iowa and Penn State, given they both qualify, a BCS bowl can choose between either team, not necessarily the highest ranked.

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Working...
                              X