Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't the media refer to BYU as such?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't the media refer to BYU as such?

For instance, from the coaches poll:

TCU
    LSU
    Southern California
    Brigham Young

why not USC or BYU? Any thoughts? We don't call them Leland Stanford, similarly, we aren't call Young University.

I don't get it. Is it simply tradition? I have a tough time buying that, because I have never said that I attended Brigham Young. I say, BYU or Brigham Young University.
    "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
    For instance, from the coaches poll:

TCU
    LSU
    Southern California
    Brigham Young

why not USC or BYU? Any thoughts? We don't call them Leland Stanford, similarly, we aren't call Young University.

I don't get it. Is it simply tradition? I have a tough time buying that, because I have never said that I attended Brigham Young. I say, BYU or Brigham Young University.
    I have no answer for you , but I like your avatar, eh.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
      I have no answer for you , but I like your avatar, eh.
      If I didn't have puke breath, I'd kiss you.
      "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

There are two (allegedly) USC schools, so the media often refrains from using the abbreviation, so as not to create confusion.

Because when you talk about football tradition, it is easy to confuse University of Southern California and University of South Carolina.

I have no idea why the media uses Brigham Young instead of BYU.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

It seems like football has a name different tradition that is separate and distinct from the academic side. For example, it was a long time before I knew that Cal was the same place as UC Berkley.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            For example, it was a long time before I knew that Cal was the same place as UC Berkley.
            That is very brave of you to admit in public.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              That is very brave of you to admit in public.
              I knew you'd be quick to reply.

Similarly (in regards to geographic location), I remember as a kid always being confused about what city and/or state the Golden State Warriors were from.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                I knew you'd be quick to reply.

Similarly (in regards to geographic location), I remember as a kid always being confused about what city and/or state the Golden State Warriors were from.
                At this point I think both Oakland and San francisco and every other berg int he stae is glad that no city name is associated wiht that dribbling train wreck.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                X