Bronco's Clock Management "Blunder"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco's Clock Management "Blunder"

Was it his way of saying he didn't trust handing the ball to Hall with 1:10 on the clock and all three timeouts remaining?

Seems like it was just yesterday that Beck was taking the Cougs 75 yards in 1:10 for a game-winning TD at RES. All we needed from Hall today was to get into FG range. Interesting to compare the two situations.

Sure, there is a difference between being tied and needing a TD to come from behind, but you'd like to think you can turn the ball over to your senior QB with the game on the line and see what he can do. OT is no gimme (as Bronco knows all too well).

In short, I'm happy with the win, but I'd like to think the next time we have a senior QB who was a 3-year starter, he'll be someone Bronco can give the ball to and say "go get us a win, kid."
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I wonder if he just didn't realize what was happening until it was too late to call a timeout without looking foolish, so he committed to the ultra-conservative strategy. I can't believe he really has that little confidence in Max. It was also really weird that they ran Harvey on the last play of regulation. Very wishy-washy.

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
      I wonder if he just didn't realize what was happening until it was too late to call a timeout without looking foolish, so he committed to the ultra-conservative strategy. I can't believe he really has that little confidence in Max. It was also really weird that they ran Harvey on the last play of regulation. Very wishy-washy.
      The Harvey play bugged me too. There was simply no point to it. If your aim is to run out the clock then just take a knee - why risk getting your star player hurt on a worthless play? If your aim is to try and make yards for a score then running Unga over the left side ain't gonna get it done.

Comment

1:10? Wasn't it more like 29 seconds? Still, I think they should have taken some shots.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
          The Harvey play bugged me too. There was simply no point to it. If your aim is to run out the clock then just take a knee - why risk getting your star player hurt on a worthless play? If your aim is to try and make yards for a score then running Unga over the left side ain't gonna get it done.
          Not to mention giving the Utes a shot at stripping the ball (on a day when Harvey had already coughed it up a couple times). The whole thing was really strange.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
            1:10? Wasn't it more like 29 seconds? Still, I think they should have taken some shots.
            No, if he called timeout right after the 3rd down stop, there was still over a minute left.

Comment

I was really frustrated at that call not to call the time out there. A lot of people in the stands near me were mad at the conservative decisions and play calling, but I wasn't. It was the kind of game you try to grind out with your defense and not let your offense lose the game for you.

The two decisions I didn't like were not calling that time out before the field goal and punting for a net 15 yards on 4th and 5 at the 35 in the first half.

Comment

Then once he decided not to use the TO to try and win in regulation, why not take 1 or 2 of them to try and ice the Utah kicker?
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  Was it his way of saying he didn't trust handing the ball to Hall with 1:10 on the clock and all three timeouts remaining?

Seems like it was just yesterday that Beck was taking the Cougs 75 yards in 1:10 for a game-winning TD at RES. All we needed from Hall today was to get into FG range. Interesting to compare the two situations.

Sure, there is a difference between being tied and needing a TD to come from behind, but you'd like to think you can turn the ball over to your senior QB with the game on the line and see what he can do. OT is no gimme (as Bronco knows all too well).

In short, I'm happy with the win, but I'd like to think the next time we have a senior QB who was a 3-year starter, he'll be someone Bronco can give the ball to and say "go get us a win, kid."
                  He basically said as much after the game. He cited the risk of losing the ball or throwing an interception.

In other words, he didn't trust the offense in that situation. Judging by the play calling in the 4th quarter (and most of the second half), the offense has earned little trust this season.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Max is a senior, but he was way off last night. He was missing guys like crazy and the Ute DL was playing lights out with their pressure and knocking down passes. In hindsight Bronco made the right move.

However, I too was yelling for them to call timeout. I couldn't believe they didn't even try to get 50 yards in over a minute to kick a field goal.

I guess that is why I'm not a head coach.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Between that, Bronco's refusal to run Unga in the 3rd quarter when it was clear we couldn't stop him, and Whit's refusal to go away from the Smithson package when it was clear it wouldn't work, I'm of the opinion that both teams wanted to play for San Diego, not Las Vegas.

U-Ute

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
                        Between that, Bronco's refusal to run Unga in the 3rd quarter when it was clear we couldn't stop him, and Whit's refusal to go away from the Smithson package when it was clear it wouldn't work, I'm of the opinion that both teams wanted to play for San Diego, not Las Vegas.

U-Ute
                        Did I miss something, or did the wildcat get utah 5-10 yards every time?

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                          Did I miss something, or did the wildcat get utah 5-10 yards every time?
                          all of the bounced screen passes.....
                          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                            all of the bounced screen passes.....
                            Or Shakey dancing around.

i think the utes missed asiata more than usual.
                            "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                            -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Working...
                            X