Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain the kick/punt return rule to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain the kick/punt return rule to me?

How is it interference for the returner to run into the coverage on purpose?

The officials weren't the reason for the win/loss, but they were as bad as the Mtn. announcers.

did we even score on that drive?

Comment

I think it had something to do with the fact that it had already happened a half a dozen times previously, so why not exploit it a little bit?

Comment

The first flag was absolutely correct. The second was legit, but ticky tack. The third was bogus, and a superb example of Euro Flopmanship. It had no effect on the outcome, but I understand being bummed by it. I preferred the halo rule (must give the returner a free area to catch); taking that away creates opportunities for floppage, and Chambers took advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
          How is it interference for the returner to run into the coverage on purpose?

The officials weren't the reason for the win/loss, but they were as bad as the Mtn. announcers.
          While Chambers oversold it, he didn't need to. The guy ran right into him while he was trying to catch the ball. It was the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
            While Chambers oversold it, he didn't need to. The guy ran right into him while he was trying to catch the ball. It was the right call.
            You mean Chambers ran right into him and fell down. I'm talking about the catch/return in the 4th quarter. The only one that made a what the <redacted> slip out of my mouth.
            Last edited by SloanHater; 11-28-2009, 07:44 PM.

Comment

You mean Chambers ran right into him and fell down. I'm talking about the catch/return in the 4th quarter. The only one that made a what the <redacted> slip.
              I'll have to watch it again, but when that's not even close to how I saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
                I'll have to watch it again, but when that's not even close to how I saw it.
                It may have been the red goggles and blurred vision, but I swear Chambers took his eye off the ball, moved the opposite way of the ball, and ran into Burton to draw the flag.

Comment

It may have been the red goggles and blurred vision, but I swear Chambers took his eye off the ball, moved the opposite way of the ball, and ran into Burton to draw the flag.
                  Yeah, I think that's kind of a bogus rule, if there's no impediment to getting to the ball, but if that's how the rule's written, then kudos to Chambers for taking advantage.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

The calls were correct. Defenders need to get the fuck out of the way. howabout instead o breaking down on his lateral. Break down directly in front of him and chop your feet so you can move if he comes toward you without he ball. Chambers gets an Oscar, but the calls were correct.
                    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Could be. He also took his eyes off the ball on the first one, probably in order to protect himself. If anyone finds a link for the play in question I'd like to take another look. I just don't remember it being that controversial. The second one looked questionable until a different angle showed a tap on his arm before the catch. Either way, the Ute punt coverage team should get their heads examined. I've never seen anything like it.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                        Yeah, I think that's kind of a bogus rule, if there's no impediment to getting to the ball, but if that's how the rule's written, then kudos to Chambers for taking advantage.
                        No argument here. If the rule doesn't specify who has to initiate contact, heads up play by Chambers.

[Edit] My problem with the Utes is this, if the dude isn't going to call fair catches, take the 15 yards and light him up. Next kick he'll signal fair catch.
                        Last edited by SloanHater; 11-28-2009, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X