Question about KWhitt's comment last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about KWhitt's comment last night

When asked, KWhitt said that he was voting Utah #1.

Technical question, but I thought coaches were contractually obligated to vote the BCS title game winner the #1 team? Not saying that there will be some legal action, just asking whether my memory is accurate. Aren't the coaches basically "forced" into voting for the winner of the title game? This is what caused the AP exile a few years back, iirc.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Technical question, but I thought coaches were contractually obligated to vote the BCS title game winner the #1 team? Not saying that there will be some legal action, just asking whether my memory is accurate. Aren't the coaches basically "forced" into voting for the winner of the title game? This is what caused the AP exile a few years back, iirc.
    Yes they are, so that will be very interesting. Does Kyle have a vote?
    *Banned*

Comment

I remember the 3 coaches that votes for USC in 2004 but I don't remember hearing what happened to them, eg stripping them of their vote. They are under contract to vote BSC title game winner #1.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        Yes they are, so that will be very interesting. Does Kyle have a vote?
        dont they all?

sigpic

Comment

dont they all?

Only 61 coaches.

Comment

I thought the very same thing when I heard him talking. I loved how he just took the microphone away from Chris Meyers, walked away and then handed off to BJ. You could tell Meyers was a little unsure what to do.

I think Whit was caught up in the moment and hadn't fully thought out his response to the question. I think he meant they deserved to be #1 and were #1 in his mind. If he does vote Utah #1, I think it will be interesting to see if there is any fall out.

I don't disagree with his assessment, btw. I think this team deserves a split just as much as USC did with LSU. I know it won't happen. I know the media won't do it, but I don't blame him for putting it out there.
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Looks like Kyle does have a vote.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...-ballots_N.htm
              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                I think Whit was caught up in the moment and hadn't fully thought out his response to the question. I think he meant they deserved to be #1 and were #1 in his mind. If he does vote Utah #1, I think it will be interesting to see if there is any fall out.

I don't disagree with his assessment, btw. I think this team deserves a split just as much as USC did with LSU. I know it won't happen. I know the media won't do it, but I don't blame him for putting it out there.
                The fallout would be that he would lose his coaches vote next year, and maybe not get back in the rotation to have a vote for a long time. However if the coaches really wanted a playoff all of the non-BCS conf coaches with a vote would vote Utah #1. Since most coaches like the bowl system much more than playoff, mainly for job security reasons. That will not happen.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

Kyle does have a vote...and i think it would be great if some of the coaches went against what they were "supposed" to do and voted someone else number 1. In fact, I think that if Florida beats OU and Texas Beats OSU, there could be coaches that give Florida, USC, Texas and Utah #1 votes and that would be awesome.

As an aside, I just hope the Utes have proven themselves good enough to crack the top 10 on the Missouri coaches ballot.
                  "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                    Kyle does have a vote...and i think it would be great if some of the coaches went against what they were "supposed" to do and voted someone else number 1. In fact, I think that if Florida beats OU and Texas Beats OSU, there could be coaches that give Florida, USC, Texas and Utah #1 votes and that would be awesome.

As an aside, I just hope the Utes have proven themselves good enough to crack the top 10 on the Missouri coaches ballot.
                    Gary Pinkel is a Husky at heart. So don't expect much of anything good or reasonable to come from him.

Thanks for the set up DnF!
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post

actually, this would not be good in the long run, would it? the non-BCS coaches need as much of a voice as possible. If they lose their votes, it makes it that much tougher to vote for non-BCS teams in the Coaches poll throughout the season, thereby hurting the BCS rankings. we need as many kwhits and broncos as possible voting for byu and utah during the season, it would seem.

sigpic

Comment

actually, this would not be good in the long run, would it? the non-BCS coaches need as much of a voice as possible. If they lose their votes, it makes it that much tougher to vote for non-BCS teams in the Coaches poll throughout the season, thereby hurting the BCS rankings. we need as many kwhits and broncos as possible voting for byu and utah during the season, it would seem.
                        If the B12 coaches can manipulate their votes like they did to Cal after Mack Brown's cry fest at the end of the 2004 season, why can't the non-BCS coaches?
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

Does Pete Carrol have a vote?

I think that the key to changing the system is the coaches keeping their beef when they make the title game.

However, I think that Pete Carrol has enough pull in college football that he could really make a difference if he wanted to. Maybe I am overestimating his importance and influence.
                          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Working...
                          X