Even the majority of SC fans think Utah should be #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even the majority of SC fans think Utah should be #1

I think there are 2-3 dissenters in the group, but it is funny that the BCS fans hate the BCS just as much.

http://wearesc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66307

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    I think there are 2-3 dissenters in the group, but it is funny that the BCS fans hate the BCS just as much.

http://wearesc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66307
    The majority of SC fans? Or 10 posters on wearesc?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      C'mon Coach...this isn't a valid sample size. Where's your methodology??

It was nice to think there may be some rational thinking even among the BCS elite. Thanks for bringing us back down to earth.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I knew that was coming. Seeing that both the ESPN poll and Fox poll are above 70% that Utah deserves a share, I will say majority.

Comment

I knew that was coming. Seeing that both the ESPN poll and Fox poll are above 70% that Utah deserves a share, I will say majority.
          The state of Texas voted in Utah's favor, too. Are you saying that the majority of their fans want Utah to be #1? So if Texas beats Ohio State tonight, the team will take the podium and stump for Utah?

sigpic

Comment

The state of Texas voted in Utah's favor, too. Are you saying that the majority of their fans want Utah to be #1? So if Texas beats Ohio State tonight, the team will take the podium and stump for Utah?
            Another great point.

You're plumbing new depths this morning, TD. Go back to bed.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Yep. Reason being, they all want a playoff and they feel splitting the championship with Utah is a big F You to the BCS. Overall, it would be right in this who deserves it based on resumes. This is not like BYU winning in 84'. The Utes played a legit schedule and did not lose. The MWC was nails this year OOC and that could help them.

Comment

Yep. Reason being, they all want a playoff and they feel splitting the championship with Utah is a big F You to the BCS. Overall, it would be right in this who deserves it based on resumes. This is not like BYU winning in 84'. The Utes played a legit schedule and did not lose. The MWC was nails this year OOC and that could help them.
                being undefeated and not winning the title has already happened in the BCS era. More than once. what happened? the bcs's contract was extended for another 5 years.

You are basing your stance on the results of espn's online poll.

sigpic

Comment

being undefeated and not winning the title has already happened in the BCS era. More than once. what happened? the bcs's contract was extended for another 5 years.

You are basing your stance on the results of espn's online poll.

I just hope. I am not even sure of my stance here other than, from what I can tell The majority of college football fans believe Utah deserves a share of the NC. Yes that is based on 2 polls ESPN and Fox. Is your opinion that the majority does not believe Utah deserves a share? If so, what is your stance based on?

Comment

I just hope. I am not even sure of my stance here other than, from what I can tell The majority of college football fans believe Utah deserves a share of the NC. Yes that is based on 2 polls ESPN and Fox. Is your opinion that the majority does not believe Utah deserves a share? If so, what is your stance based on?
                    My stance is this:

The majority of fans of teams that still have a stake in the game want THEIR team to be #1. There is no magnanimity in sports. To suggest that if you were to cruise around South County or the entire country and find that the majority of SC fans want some other school to be the champ is crazy talk.

The online poll was put up after the game ended. If Texas wins tonight, let's see how the popular opinion shifts. You more than anyone else should understand this. Who was the very first person to post after the Rose Bowl that SC should be the national champs? You. Yesterday, you were on Utah's tip. Tonight, maybe Texas.

Does Utah now deserve to be in the "we got screwed out of a shot at the title" talk? Absolutely.

Does Utah deserve the outright AP title (we agree that a BCS title is impossible now)? Absolutely not. Florida is the AP #1 team. Utah is the #7 team. Florida is playing the AP #2 team in its bowl. Utah played the AP #4 team. If Florida wins, why should it share its title? The undefeated thing isn't relevant at this stage. Utah was undefeated all season long when the AP had it ranked where it did going into the bowls. Florida also had its one loss for much of the season and the AP had it ranked where it did. The AP has already considered the win/loss count and isn't going to reward Utah this week for being undefeated. Being #1 and winning your bowl game means you win the title.

if you look at past examples of split titles, never has it been in a case where a team ranked as low as #7 wins its bowl game. SC won the most recent split because it was already the AP #1 going into the bowl game but the BCS rankings kept them out. Wasn't Washington ranked #1 or #3 when it split its title?

sigpic

Comment

My stance is this:

The majority of fans of teams that still have a stake in the game want THEIR team to be #1. There is no magnanimity in sports. To suggest that if you were to cruise around South County or the entire country and find that the majority of SC fans want some other school to be the champ is crazy talk.

The online poll was put up after the game ended. If Texas wins tonight, let's see how the popular opinion shifts. You more than anyone else should understand this. Who was the very first person to post after the Rose Bowl that SC should be the national champs? You. Yesterday, you were on Utah's tip. Tonight, maybe Texas.

Does Utah now deserve to be in the "we got screwed out of a shot at the title" talk? Absolutely.

Does Utah deserve the outright AP title (we agree that a BCS title is impossible now)? Absolutely not. Florida is the AP #1 team. Utah is the #7 team. Florida is playing the AP #2 team in its bowl. Utah played the AP #4 team. If Florida wins, why should it share its title? The undefeated thing isn't relevant at this stage. Utah was undefeated all season long when the AP had it ranked where it did going into the bowls. Florida also had its one loss for much of the season and the AP had it ranked where it did. The AP has already considered the win/loss count and isn't going to reward Utah this week for being undefeated. Being #1 and winning your bowl game means you win the title.

if you look at past examples of split titles, never has it been in a case where a team ranked as low as #7 wins its bowl game. SC won the most recent split because it was already the AP #1 going into the bowl game but the BCS rankings kept them out. Wasn't Washington ranked #1 or #3 when it split its title?
                      Not want, deserve. For all I know Texas fans think Utah deserves a share of the title with Texas and USC thinks that they deserve a share with SC.

Comment

Not want, deserve. For all I know Texas fans think Utah deserves a share of the title with Texas and USC thinks that they deserve a share with SC.
                        I have no way of knowing this, so you could be right.

I think we are saying the same thing. By "deserve," you seem to be saying that Utah is in the discussion. I agree with this.

My gut tells me no simply because SC fans already concede that Florida or OU already have a locked-in claim to a share of the title by virtue of their playing in the title game. The other schools are simply clamoring for their shared slice. I don't think SC fans think that OU/Florida & SC & Utah all get a 3-way slice. Which is why I say, there is no magnanimity in sports. SC fans don't care about what fairness Utah gets. Nor do Texas fans. And Utah fans aren't interested in sharing anything right now. That is the way it works when you have a legit gripe.

The bigger question I have is what change will be brought by this. Does it further tweak the rankings formula? Does it change which conference gets the auto-bid? Does it loosen the requirements for a non-BCS school to get an invite? Or does it change nothing at all?

sigpic

Comment

The bigger question I have is what change will be brought by this. Does it further tweak the rankings formula? Does it change which conference gets the auto-bid? Does it loosen the requirements for a non-BCS school to get an invite? Or does it change nothing at all?
                          I believe this pushes the committee to do the +1, which is not the right move. if it was in place this year, it would have infuriated Ute fans all the more since USC and Florida/OU would be playing the +1 game. It is however one more step towards a playoff, which if it is 8 teams with the same auto bids, won't stop the bitching.

Comment

I believe this pushes the committee to do the +1, which is not the right move. if it was in place this year, it would have infuriated Ute fans all the more since USC and Florida/OU would be playing the +1 game. It is however one more step towards a playoff, which if it is 8 teams with the same auto bids, won't stop the bitching.
                            I was under the impression that +1 was already in the making...or at least the serious discussion phase.

Anything short of a 16-team playoff will always leave teams shafted.

If the BCS were smart, it would concede an 8-team playoff ASAP. It would silence the playoff boobirds and still maintain the 6-conference stronghold that it has worked so hard to establish. Basically, the only thing that would change is that the BCS conferences would grow even richer.

sigpic

Comment

This year seems certain to bring about some kind of change. You've got Texas, USC, and Utah all with reasonably strong arguments for the title, regardless of who wins in Miami. The question is, as you point out, whether we're going to settle for yet another band-aid fix, when it's seeming more and more like a tourniquet would be more appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                              X