My Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Thoughts

Fox Pregame: Eat it Jimmy and friends. Fox is horrible at the college game.

Coin Toss: Way to keep it classy Bama; trash talking during the coin flip. I've never seen that before.

Coaching and game prep: What preparation. What intensity. From the first series, they punched UA in the face and didn't let up. Utah played with a chip on their shoulder. Kyle Whittingham IS a big game coach; he hasn't lost a bowl game yet.

Offense: Great game by Ludwig. Did you notice the vertical passes mixed in with the precession passing in the first quarter? Caught Bama totally off guard. The no huddle was fantastic; three TDs - each drive under two minutes. Also, once Ludwig saw what was working he kept at it; he didn't back off.

QB: BJ was incredible. Game of his career. So cool, so focused. I could go on and on.

D: Amazing blitzes. They were turning run blitzes into sacks. This was not all about DreSmith being out either. A lot of the pressure was right up the middle and on both sides. 32 yards rushing for Bama. Wow. Once Bama had to go to the pass, Utah just pinned their ears back and pressured. Bama's only O TD was on a short field. I think their longest drive was 50 yards. They hit hard, all night.

Special Teams: Solid kicking/punting. Bad mistake by Bama letting the long punt (61 yrds?) go. Crappy coverage for the TD, even though there was a block in the back, still should have made a tackle.

Overall: This game was maybe one of the top two events in modern Utah athletics history...Tied with the win over Arizona to go the Final Four?

Utah could have played with, and beat, any team in the country tonight. Anyone.

Originally posted by 8BR View Post
    Fox Pregame: Eat it Jimmy and friends. Fox is horrible at the college game.

Coin Toss: Way to keep it classy Bama; trash talking during the coin flip. I've never seen that before.

Coaching and game prep: What preparation. What intensity. From the first series, they punched UA in the face and didn't let up. Utah played with a chip on their shoulder. Kyle Whittingham IS a big game coach; he hasn't lost a bowl game yet.

Offense: Great game by Ludwig. Did you notice the vertical passes mixed in with the precession passing in the first quarter? Caught Bama totally off guard. The no huddle was fantastic; three TDs - each drive under two minutes. Also, once Ludwig saw what was working he kept at it; he didn't back off.

QB: BJ was incredible. Game of his career. So cool, so focused. I could go on and on.

D: Amazing blitzes. They were turning run blitzes into sacks. This was not all about DreSmith being out either. A lot of the pressure was right up the middle and on both sides. 32 yards rushing for Bama. Wow. Once Bama had to go to the pass, Utah just pinned their ears back and pressured. Bama's only O TD was on a short field. I think their longest drive was 50 yards. They hit hard, all night.

Special Teams: Solid kicking/punting. Bad mistake by Bama letting the long punt (61 yrds?) go. Crappy coverage for the TD, even though there was a block in the back, still should have made a tackle.

Overall: This game was maybe one of the top two events in modern Utah athletics history...Tied with the win over Arizona to go the Final Four?

I think some of the QB pressure can be attributed to Smith's absence. I can't remember the statistics but there was a huge difference between sacks allowed in their games with him vs without him. Missing him changes up their protection schemes.

However, that's no excuse. They had a full month to get ready to cover the gaping weakness of a missing OLINEMAN. They are a major SEC football program--is there that big of a drop off?

Saban making excuses is hilarious. Leaving Miami how he did and now making excuses for his bowl loss just makes me think he's sort of a tool.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      I think some of the QB pressure can be attributed to Smith's absence. I can't remember the statistics but there was a huge difference between sacks allowed in their games with him vs without him. Missing him changes up their protection schemes.

However, that's no excuse. They had a full month to get ready to cover the gaping weakness of a missing OLINEMAN. They are a major SEC football program--is there that big of a drop off?

Saban making excuses is hilarious. Leaving Miami how he did and now making excuses for his bowl loss just makes me think he's sort of a tool.

I believe it was 3 sacks allowed in games he played and 10 sacks allowed in the 2 games he missed. But screw that the Utes would have torched that guy too.

Saban is a Douche. I have thought that since he was at LSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
        Saban is a Douche. I have thought that since he was at LSU.
        I don't really know anything about him, other than it seems like he made a bunch of promises to Miami, only to leave them in the lurch when the first nice opportunity arose. Now he's accepting absolutely no responsibility for a very uninspired performance by his team.

He just seems like the type that's looking out for himself above everything and everyone else. Like most of us, I guess, but I like to think those type of people never reach greatness.

So yeah, he's a douche.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

[QUOTE=8BR;18677]

[QUOTE]

Are you sure that was Bama? It looked to me that it was Sly that was involved and just and FYI Sly was running his mouth like a fool during the coin toss of the BYU game so I don't think you can immediately say it was Bama.
          "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Great game played by the Utes, but just so you know in the 2 minute/no huddle BJ calls the plays not Ludwig. So BJ should get all the credit for everyone of those touchdown drives.
            *Banned*

Comment

Where is UD?

Great game by Utah. Perhaps the MWC is not that far behind the BCS conferences. Frankly, I'm pleasently surprised.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

[QUOTE=Hot Lunch;18686][QUOTE=8BR;18677]

Are you sure that was Bama? It looked to me that it was Sly that was involved and just and FYI Sly was running his mouth like a fool during the coin toss of the BYU game so I don't think you can immediately say it was Bama.
                Sly can talk all the trash he wants because he backs it up with his play...Alabama...not so much!
                "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  Where is UD?

Great game by Utah. Perhaps the MWC is not that far behind the BCS conferences. Frankly, I'm pleasently surprised.
                  Busy trolling CB.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                    Busy trolling CB.
                    I bet you're over your limit. I'm calling the Fish and Game folks.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I would vote Utah #1 due to their undefeated record and win over a couple top 10 teams. I thought they dominated Alabama and agree with most of your post.

That said, Oklahoma, Florida, Texas and most likely USC would have killed the utes last night.

I said it on this board and I said it on CB - this game was the perfect scenario for the utes - they were playing a highly respected, but highly overrated team with a horrible QB. Anytime you play a team with a bad QB, you have a chance to win, just like all the other mediocre teams who nearly beat Bama this year. OU, UF, UT and USC all have very good QBs. Utah would be embarrassed by those teams.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        I would vote Utah #1 due to their undefeated record and win over a couple top 10 teams. I thought they dominated Alabama and agree with most of your post.

That said, Oklahoma, Florida, Texas and most likely USC would have killed the utes last night.

I said it on this board and I said it on CB - this game was the perfect scenario for the utes - they were playing a highly respected, but highly overrated team with a horrible QB. Anytime you play a team with a bad QB, you have a chance to win, just like all the other mediocre teams who nearly beat Bama this year. OU, UF, UT and USC all have very good QBs. Utah would be embarrassed by those teams.
                        I'm not sure we beat any of those teams, but I don't think any of them kill us. This for the simple reason that I think we could hang points on any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                          This for the simple reason that I think we could hang points on any of them.
                          Until last night, I wasn't all that impressed with Utah's O, given that they were largely stifled by the Beavs and Frogs. Last night I became a believer, thanks in part to some excellent playcalling, not to mention some great decisionmaking by Johnson. He really progressed in that department over the years (although his fumble in the 3rd made me nostalgic for an earlier time). Notwithstanding Sylvester's and Brown's great games, one had to give Brian the MVP as a lifetime achievement award.

Comment

[QUOTE=DrumNFeather;18703][QUOTE=Hot Lunch;18686]

Sly can talk all the trash he wants because he backs it up with his play...Alabama...not so much!
                            So because he can back it up he gets a free pass to be total dick?
                            "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Working...
                            X