LA Daily News: UCLA Players faced with Higher Calling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA Daily News: UCLA Players faced with Higher Calling

Interesting article from today's Daily News re: Mormons playing for the bRuins.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_13821168

Prince was a life-long UCLA fan and said it was his dream to play in blue and gold. He knew he could return to the team after serving his mission, but a part of him questioned what his abilities would become after three years away from the sport.

He had seen Mormon quarterbacks leave for missions and come back a shell of their former selves. Some lacked the physical attributes that once had made them great while others lacked the desire.

Prince thought about the decision, talked about it and prayed about it.
    The chance to quarterback UCLA back to greatness, to live up to that dream, ultimately was too much to pass up.

"You're taught in the church that whenever confronted with an issue you pray about it," Prince said. "Ultimately, I felt that I was given a set of gifts to play football, and I've come a long way from getting hurt my senior year to being able to finally play.

"I feel like I'd be cutting myself short a little bit if I didn't try to carry this out."
    Also, I really enjoyed the pic. I wonder if this is a stock photo?

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

he needs to go on a mission because

greatness and UCLA are two paths that will not cross while he is there. Now he may cross paths with Pammy85 or Sammy85 my sisters form socal, they make sure those boys don't go
    Cougs and Utes join some of your friends and add me on Facebook and Twitter

@Tammyocho_cinco
    Tammy_eighty.five@yahoo.com

see you soon xoxoxoxox

Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy85 View Post
      my sisters form socal
      You have just revealed your secret identity, you little monkey.
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Interesting article from today's Daily News re: Mormons playing for the bRuins.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_13821168

Also, I really enjoyed the pic. I wonder if this is a stock photo?

So do I get from this article the kid went to UCLA. He decided to not go on a mission though, which we know happens if LDS kids choose to go somewhere besides BYU, and yet the kid has a positive article written about him.

This is probably good PR for the church with the gentiles, but this isn't good stuff for the believers.

You might want to post this on CB. I am interested in the "defenders of the faith" take on something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
          So do I get from this article the kid went to UCLA. He decided to not go on a mission though, which we know happens if LDS kids choose to go somewhere besides BYU, and yet the kid has a positive article written about him.

This is probably good PR for the church with the gentiles, but this isn't good stuff for the believers.

You might want to post this on CB. I am interested in the "defenders of the faith" take on something like this.
          I wonder how many millions of Mormons he let down by not going to BYU?
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I had no idea that Prince was LDS. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Both are at UCLA right now.

I don't share the daily obsession with these "defenders of the faith," so I will pass on posting it on CB. I don't really care what they think.

I think you are correct...not sure this is the sort of PR The Bros want to be seeing in the newspapers. But at least it is honest. What I find to be most interesting is his professed account of prayer. This is a kid that prayed about it and was prompted to NOT go on a mission. Whoops.

sigpic

Comment

I don't share the daily obsession with these "defenders of the faith," so I will pass on posting it on CB. I don't really care what they think.

I think you are correct...not sure this is the sort of PR The Bros want to be seeing in the newspapers. But at least it is honest. What I find to be most interesting is his professed account of prayer. This is a kid that prayed about it and was prompted to NOT go on a mission. Whoops.
                You were obviously not raised LDS. Every raised mormon knows by age 9 that the ultimate throwdown when you want something is to claim "God told you." How does somebody else argue with personal revelation?

The mutant from Emery County used it with Rick Majerus. Isley Filiaga used it with the BYUheads when he went to the U. I think even Kyle Whittingham used it with religiousBYUheads for why he chose the U. I think Sealver Siliaga got conflicting messages from God.

Mormons are incapable of just saying, I wanted to do this for me and I thought the other plan would not bring to pass what I wanted. Mormons are programmed that every action must have some angle of the Almighty's mutual approbation.

I think all women should get fake knockers...cuz I prayed about it!
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                  You were obviously not raised LDS. Every raised mormon knows by age 9 that the ultimate throwdown when you want something is to claim "God told you." How does somebody else argue with personal revelation?

The mutant from Emery County used it with Rick Majerus. Isley Filiaga used it with the BYUheads when he went to the U. I think even Kyle Whittingham used it with religiousBYUheads for why he chose the U. I think Sealver Siliaga got conflicting messages from God.

Mormons are incapable of just saying, I wanted to do this for me and I thought the other plan would not bring to pass what I wanted. Mormons are programmed that every action must have some angle of the Almighty's mutual approbation.

I was not raised LDS but I did join in my youth.

I took AP Primary in the pre-existence, so I don't think I missed out on much here on Earth.

sigpic

Comment

Just because you don't care what someone thinks doesn't mean you wouldn't read what they say. I don't care what you think, but I read most of your stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

I love to hear dualing testimonies. It is one of my obsessions.

Comment

Just because you don't care what someone thinks doesn't mean you wouldn't read what they say. I don't care what you think, but I read most of your stuff.
                        One thing you could do is post it over there yourself. Then come back here and let us all know again what they said. And why you disagree with what they said.

Personally, I am not interested in doing so. There are plenty of responses on this board for my tastes.

sigpic

Comment

One thing you could do is post it over there yourself. Then come back here and let us all know again what they said. And why you disagree with what they said.

Personally, I am not interested in doing so. There are plenty of responses on this board for my tastes.
                          Yea, but then that could crowd up the space here and maybe someone would miss all the important shit you share with us.

Comment

Yea, but then that could crowd up the space here and maybe someone would miss all the important shit you share with us.
                            DDD made BYU71 swear. This is getting serious.
                            *Banned*

Comment

I see you are offended that I pointed out your daily obsession with the defenders of the faith.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X