Apple vs. PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple vs. PC

I am a bit embarrassed. As you all know, I am metrosexy. But I have a confession...I have been using a PC for years. I always feel like an idiot when I get to a meeting or a presentation and I take out the old Dell or Toshiba. I know what they are thinking: "This guy is stylish, he's hip and he's happenin' and he is using a stinking windows PC?"

Well, I think I have turned the corner. I decided to go for it and get myself a Macbook Pro. Now, I can sit in meetings and open up my laptop and have the little glowing Apple on the outside proclaim to all the world 'I know fashion and I know technology.'

I got a fabulous deal for one. Feel free to commend me for my choice...and to reinforce to me how much more awesome I now am for choosing a Mac.

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
    I am a bit embarrassed. As you all know, I am metrosexy. But I have a confession...I have been using a PC for years. I always feel like an idiot when I get to a meeting or a presentation and I take out the old Dell or Toshiba. I know what they are thinking: "This guy is stylish, he's hip and he's happenin' and he is using a stinking windows PC?"

Well, I think I have turned the corner. I decided to go for it and get myself a Macbook Pro. Now, I can sit in meetings and open up my laptop and have the little glowing Apple on the outside proclaim to all the world 'I know fashion and I know technology.'

I got a fabulous deal for one. Feel free to commend me for my choice...and to reinforce to me how much more awesome I now am for choosing a Mac.
    Macs are cool. Can't run AutoCad on them though.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

I need a new computer and bad. I think I will go with a desktop. Macs are so much more expensive. But Justin Long is such a cutie. He makes me want a Mac.

Anyway, is a Mac really worth the extra dough? Or should I just stick to the ol' PC? If it really is worth the extra money, what would I be getting with a Mac that I wouldn't be getting with a PC. (Other than the aforementioned metro sex appeal.)
      What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
      -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Welcome to the club.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
          I need a new computer and bad. I think I will go with a desktop. Macs are so much more expensive. But Justin Long is such a cutie. He makes me want a Mac.

Anyway, is a Mac really worth the extra dough? Or should I just stick to the ol' PC? If it really is worth the extra money, what would I be getting with a Mac that I wouldn't be getting with a PC. (Other than the aforementioned metro sex appeal.)
          It's the difference between buying a Chevy Cavalier or a Mercedes for a relatively insignificant price difference.

Buy a 20" imac -- you will never regret it. It really is a superior machine -- in fact always has been. The BEST monitor, graphics card, memory etc. is standard, not an add-on!

Along with your machine you get iphoto, imovie, itunes, garageband, ical et al a part of the operating system. Furthermore THERE ARE NO VIRUSES for macs. The operating system is more intuitive and easier to use / learn for little children. My kids spend hours making music tracks and videos with the built in camera.

You have built in parental controls that let's you keep track of where you kids surf on the internet, what they do etc. You can run ALL business software such as Word and Excel on your Mac.
          Last edited by tooblue; 12-30-2008, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post

The reason that I changed over was the frustrations that I have had with various PC operating systems with bugs, viruses, etc. I also had more than my share of breakdowns so I decides to give it a shot.

I bought a used macbook...and you can get a high quality laptop (sample specs are dual core 2.2ghz, 160gb hard drive, 15.4" screen, etc.) that is 6 months old for around $1100-1300. So it is about 20% more expensive than a new PC computer with similar specs...but to me, for now, it was worth it. At least I hope so as I will be working on it over the next couple of weeks and I will have a better feel for it.

You don't need any metrosexy appeal obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
              Furthermore THERE ARE NO VIRUSES for macs.
              REALLY? That is amazing.

Comment

I own both. Macs are overrated.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                  REALLY? That is amazing.
                  I have had macs for 15 years and NEVER had a virus! These new malware threats are a concern, especially if you are not careful about what you download, open, surf too etc. As of RIGHT now, users must be tricked into downloading the malware, unlike Windows machines.

Macs are a superior machine and operating system period.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                    I have had macs for 15 years and NEVER had a virus! These new malware threats are a concern, especially if you are not careful about what you download, open, surf too etc. As of RIGHT now, users must be tricked into downloading the malware, unlike Windows machines.

Macs are a superior machine and operating system period.
                    Just saying. You said they don't exist. At all. I was just showing where Apple had said otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      Just saying. You said they don't exist. At all. I was just showing where Apple had said otherwise.
                      For a long time they did not exist. You're right, some do now.

Comment

PCs are better and cheaper... Don't listen to the zealot Tooblue
                        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                          PCs are better and cheaper... Don't listen to the zealot Tooblue
                          Why is it EVERY TIME you sign off of MSN after a chat your machine mysteriously spams me with instant messages wanting me to win an ipod etc.? I know for a fact my MAC does not return the favor

Comment

I recently bought a new laptop and considered getting a mac. It turned out to be just too ridiculously expensive. I ended up getting a PC that is basically identical to a 17" macbook pro for just under $900. Compare the $2799 tag on that mac. I don't care how awesome they are, they're not worth 3x. I'll always have a pc desktop since I still consider myself somewhat of a gamer even though I rarely have any time to do so. Macs suck for games, and you can't build your own.

Comment

I just got my wife a macbook for Christmas. We are enjoying it very much. I still run a Lenovo for work because it is much easier than running a dual operating system. For personal life and artistic stuff, Mac wins.

Comment

Working...
                              X