Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else have a problem with OC on punt returns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have a problem with OC on punt returns?

Why doesn't he ever fair catch? We've come close several times to losing the ball because he doesn't fair catch and gets nailed just as he fields the punt. It seems to me that the risk/reward says you take the fair catch rather than the extra 2 yards you might gain by fielding the punt in traffic. Eventually we're going to get burned by this. Is this Chambers or is someone coaching him to do this?
    Last edited by Non Sequitur; 11-10-2009, 03:05 PM.
    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    Why doesn't he ever fair catch? We've come close several times to losing the ball because he doesn't fair catch and gets nailed just as he fields the punt. It seems to me that the risk/reward says you take the fair catch rather than the extra 2 yards you might gain by fielding the punt in traffic. Eventually we're going to get burned by this. Is this Chambers or is someone telling him to do this?
    It's Chambers. He's a big, physical receiver, and at times it costs him in the form of fumbles. He likes to hit and to be hit. I noticed this early on last year, and it never really surfaced until he fumbled a kickoff that was recovered by BYU in the rivalry game with Utah last year. In the Oklahoma game you can see him go looking for the safety that stood him up right before the goal line, right before the persuit guys stripped him. I understand him liking to hit guys and enjoying being swoll and sinewy, but he's got to make better decisions. You may be able to fight high school kids for YAC by refusing to go down, but I'd prefer he be smarter about it in college. He's going to get seriously lit up on a punt return if he keeps that up.

Comment

I've been told it's because O'Neill plays to win.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        And you would be correct. O'Neill and Vince Young. That's how they roll.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

Why doesn't he ever fair catch? We've come close several times to losing the ball because he doesn't fair catch and gets nailed just as he fields the punt. It seems to me that the risk/reward says you take the fair catch rather than the extra 2 yards you might gain by fielding the punt in traffic. Eventually we're going to get burned by this. Is this Chambers or is someone coaching him to do this?
          its not the lack of fair catches that scares me, its the way he catches punts. am I the only person that thinks it looks like he overran the kick every time he catches it?

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
            He wants to win by 9, not 2.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              He wants to win by 9, not 2.
              He's a real gamer.

He's a winner.

He has "it".

He has all the "intangibles".

He passes the eye test.

He doesn't play not to lose.

He's a leader.

He's a <fill-in-the-blank-bullcrap-cliched-amorphous-attribute>
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Why doesn't he ever fair catch?
                Is this Chambers or is someone coaching him to do this?
                Evidently it was learned by Chambers and he convinced Bronco that a .5- or 1-yard gain is worth the risk.

“I really like what O’Neill is doing. He gives us a physcial presence there. He doesn’t go down easy. He is certainly fearless. I like what he has done on both punt and kickoff returns.
                So he will remain as the returner,” Mendenhall said.
                And what about his refusal to call for fair catches?
                “We will work on that. I would much rather have to pull him back, than have to encourage him to go get it. Right now, he has no fear, in fact, after the one that he didn’t fair catch, with players right around him, he said I thought I could fall forward for a yard. He said a yard is better than nothing, and that is hard logic to argue with, because he fell forward about a half a yard, is what we got,” Mendenhall said. “We always emphasize field position, so it was a good point.”

Comment

Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
                  Evidently it was learned by Chambers and he convinced Bronco that a .5- or 1-yard gain is worth the risk.
                  Translation..."Don't f**k with O'Neill Chambers."
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                  X