Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else worried that Riley Nelson might be the QB next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else worried that Riley Nelson might be the QB next year?

Seriously, I don't get the hype for him this year. BYU's never been successful with a running QB. And if people are up in arms about Max Hall's lack of arm strength, why do people believe that won't be a problem with Nelson? I've seen nothing from Nelson to indicate he has the ability to throw the ball. And you can only get by for so long as a quarterback without being able to throw the ball.

Honestly, I'll be much more worried about next year if Heaps doesn't beat out Nelson for the starting job. Heaps, at least, has all the tools to be a great QB. Nelson's a stop-gap.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

I cannot comment because I don't think I have ever seen him throw the ball.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

My bigger fear is that if Nelson starts next what it says about our other QBs moreso than what it says about Nelson.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I'm terrified if Nelson is our QB next year. It would indicate that we have a major problem in analyzing talent. I expect two or three guys will beat out Riley. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lark, Munns and Heaps all beat him out. If so, he becomes another Covey. Maybe he or Covey will move to defense.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          I can't recall the last time BYU had a QB with zero pass attempts and rushed for over 70 yards in the same game.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

He threw one pass against Wyoming -- that horrible interception in the end zone that fortunately got called off. That was a truly ugly pass.
            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Not at all. I will be thrilled if Riley Nelson is your QB next year. It will be similar to BYU fans being thrilled with Terrance Cain being named Utah's starting QB.
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I am looking forward to four years of Jake/Kelly Heaps soap opera. It seems a cursed situation. I think Kelly and Bronco and BYU fans have bought themselves a heap of bad energy and karma.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I sure did against Wyoming.
                  If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    My bigger fear is that if Nelson starts next what it says about our other QBs moreso than what it says about Nelson.
                    It's a weird combination of events that even allows Nelson into the conversation. Two relatively highly recruited QBs coming back from missions as well as a true freshman who was VERY highly recruited. The problem is that the guys coming back from missions will be rusty with no experience and true freshmen almost never succeed that first year.

It will really come down to Munns or Heaps. I just don't think the coaching staff would be willing to use Nelson as a stop gap, they'd rather have either Munns or Heaps take his lumps during the first half of the season so BYU could be set for the foreseeable future at QB.
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                      Seriously, I don't get the hype for him this year. BYU's never been successful with a running QB.
                      Well, except for that Doman guy. He went 14-2.

And if people are up in arms about Max Hall's lack of arm strength, why do people believe that won't be a problem with Nelson? I've seen nothing from Nelson to indicate he has the ability to throw the ball. And you can only get by for so long as a quarterback without being able to throw the ball.

Honestly, I'll be much more worried about next year if Heaps doesn't beat out Nelson for the starting job. Heaps, at least, has all the tools to be a great QB. Nelson's a stop-gap.
                      Agreed 100%. Even if Heaps struggles early, I'm all for keeping him in the starting job because of his ceiling.

Comment

I have heard straight from a few players mouths how he floats the ball and has zero arm strength. In fact half of the BYU playbook is dumbed down when he enters the game because he can not throw any of the outs or comebacks to the far side of the field.
                        *Banned*

Comment

He must have thrown the ball in the 4Q. I turned the game off when BYU went up 45-0 or thereabouts. I honestly don't remember seeing him throw the ball before I turned it off.

Come to think of it, didn't he throw the ball once or twice against Utah State?

What kind of discussion is this? BYU fans sitting around trying to remember the last time the QB attempted a pass?
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I hope they give the ball to Heaps. Even if he's running for his life, getting hurt and cries after games like Beck did. If he ends up like Beck because of that I'll be happy.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

I wonder if Nelson ever regrets leaving Utah State?
                              "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                              "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                              "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Working...
                              X