Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 2009 SeattleUte the biggest WACK ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 2009 SeattleUte the biggest WACK ever?

eom

Don't think so. Just search his posts in The Stadium (and it's CG equivalent) over the years and you'll see this year is sub-par if anything.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

I had high hopes for 2009 SeattleUte, esp after his 2008 run of brilliance.

Most of his predictions in 2009 have been wrong.

He was just another flash in the pan, unfortunately.

RIP 2008 SeattleUte.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

If you thought SeattleUte is crazy today, here's some SeattleUte circa 1999

http://web.archive.org/web/200206290...is_so_bad.html
        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
          If you thought SeattleUte is crazy today, here's some SeattleUte circa 1999

http://web.archive.org/web/200206290...is_so_bad.html
          LOL! Thanks for linking this. Awesome stuff.

So I get back to Bainbridge Island from a YMCA campout at Orcas Island with my five-year-old daughter at 3:30 p.m. yesterday, and I still don't know who won the Boise State game. I have to bee-line it with my older daughter straight to the Bainbridge-Seattle ferry in order to make what turned out to be a terrific game between the Seahawks and the Raiders. I bought a Sunday paper on the ferry (the Dawgs-Ducks game was featured in a little panel on the front, so I knew it had the late scores), and with great anticipation turned to the scoreboard (apparently the Utah-Boise game didn't even merit a blerb)...and...and...what? no score down among the U's...looked up by the B's...and...could it be? what did I see? "OH NO!!! MY GOD!!! IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!!!!" But these were just my thoughts. I quietly laid down my paper, threw back my head, and let out a bitter, scornful, pained laugh.

My daughter ogled me as if I was mad; from her insular world in the middle of Puget Sound, she has no appreciation, and there's no way I could convey to her, my complex, love-hate relationship with the football Utes.
          It's hard to overstate how terrible this loss is for the Utes. It's far more serious than was the basketball team's loss to Utah State for two reasons, having to do with the quality of the Ute basketball program and tradition vs. Ute football's, and the manner in which success and failure are measured in basketball vs. football:

First, our basketball program has an illustrious tradition that we can fall back on during darker times, providing assurance that the good times surely will return, whereas our football team has a virtual void insofar a tradition is concerned. Colorado's route by CSU was bitter for Buff loyalists to swallow, but they can think back on a national title in the past five years, a hatful of Big 12 titles, etc., and recieve the inner comfort of knowing that, like the stock market, the Buffs will return. Same with Washington Dawgs loyalists after losing to BYU and Air Force, and Sun Devil worshipers after the debacle against New Mexico State. Even lowly Washington State has a Pac 10 Title and courageous effort in the Rose Bowl game against No. 1 Michigan in their history. The football Utes, in contrast, NEVER WON A SINGLE WAC TITLE IN THE 30+ YEARS OF THE CONFERENCE'S EXISTENCE!!!!

The second reason that the Boise State loss is so much worse is that a successful football season is measured by going to a major bowl and at least playing compeitively. Because the Utes' schedule is so weak, the loss to Boise State means a major bowl is out of the question unless the Utes act totally out of character when they travel to CSU, Air Force and BYU in the balance of the season. Now there is no room for error.
          ha ha. this is really good stuff. I love the all-caps angst at going over 30 years without a conference championship. that is pretty pathetic.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

SU wouldn't be caught dead saying anything negative about something he supports these days, would ruin his whole superiority complex image he has going.

Comment

The only thing that embarasses me about that post (ten years old) is that I expressed that I cared about pro football. I guess I did at one time.

You have to admit, I was insigtful and in every way right (ten years later the proof is in the pudding). Chris Hill finally made the bold move I had been urging, albeit not for three years. McBride was in steep decline, as I said. At that time McBride had far more defenders than detractors. This shows that I'm not always a cheerleader for the coaches--just the ones who earn it (I was one of the "Internet jackals" chided by Mark Few for purportedly hastening Giacoletti's exit). In this post I allude to the fact that Utah had way underachieving--for decades--which was a theme of mine. I said that with the resourses and population base it should dominate the WAC, as it has come to be dominant in the MWC. (Boise was a little crappy program then, as it will be again someday.)

I've admitted that Utah's football history began in 1994 and even at that was nothing to shout about for another 10 years. From this post you see that I am unBorkable. I'm consistent. I also have a long and illustrious history of intelligent and eloquent sports posts.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
              X