• Show
Clear All

• BCS rankings

TCU at #4

Utah is 16

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

TCU is praying that Texas drops a game.
    "Take it to the Bank"

ughh... Texas could have very easily lost to OU a few weeks ago. Who do they have left? Baylor, Kansas, A & M....
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
      ughh... Texas could have very easily lost to OU a few weeks ago. Who do they have left? Baylor, Kansas, A & M....
      And whatever weak team that comes out of the Big 12 north to play them in the BIG XII championship game.
      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Was oregons loss yesterday thereason Utah dropped?

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeUte View Post
          That, and New Mexico's average computer ranking is 160.

Comment

BCS at-large bids: who gets them? It seems really tough at this point. TCU and the SEC runner-up will fill two, but who gets the other two, especially if the PAC-10 is a one-bid league? Iowa? Miami? Boise St?
            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
              BCS at-large bids: who gets them? It seems really tough at this point. TCU and the SEC runner-up will fill two, but who gets the other two, especially if the PAC-10 is a one-bid league? Iowa? Miami? Boise St?
              If USC wins out, it will get an at-large bid, easily. There is zero question there.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeUte View Post
                Oregon's loss probably had no effect in most computer models. It is probably almost entirely the New Mexico loss. I created a W/L based computer model and ran the numbers three ways:

Results as played:

Rank SOS Rank
                21 106

Results if Oregon vs Stanford is dropped

Rank SOS Rank
                21 104

Results if Utah v. New Mexico is dropped

Rank SOS Rank
                17 78

The Oregon loss had a really small effect; no effect on ranking in my model and a very small effect on SOS. The computers still rank Oregon pretty highly so that loss is stil l really helping the Utes SOS.

Playing New Mexico was very costly. Utah's SOS tanked. In a W/L model playing someone like New Mexico is always going to hurt. In a MOV model it wouldn't have hurt since Utah won by a lot. On the other hand, the W/L based models rank Utah a lot higher than the MOV. The Utes have just had too many close games against bad to mediocre teams for the MOV models too give them much love at this point.

On the other hand the Utes might move up in W/L based models even if they lose to TCU.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                  Oregon's loss probably had no effect in most computer models. It is probably almost entirely the New Mexico loss. I created a W/L based computer model and ran the numbers three ways:

Results as played:

Rank SOS Rank
                  21 106

Rank SOS Rank
                  21 104

Rank SOS Rank
                  17 78

The Oregon loss had a really small effect; no effect on ranking in my model and a very small effect on SOS. The computers still rank Oregon pretty highly so that loss is stil l really helping the Utes SOS.

Playing New Mexico was very costly. Utah's SOS tanked. In a W/L model playing someone like New Mexico is always going to hurt. In a MOV model it wouldn't have hurt since Utah won by a lot. On the other hand, the W/L based models rank Utah a lot higher than the MOV. The Utes have just had too many close games against bad to mediocre teams for the MOV models too give them much love at this point.

On the other hand the Utes might move up in W/L based models even if they lose to TCU.
                  it's nice to be surrounded by such smart people... thanks, pelagius!

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post

Results as played:

Rank SOS Rank
                    21 106

Rank SOS Rank
                    21 104

Rank SOS Rank
                    17 78

I wonder what will happen to TCU's rankings after they play Utah? That should help their SOS some, right? Enough to move up?
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      I wonder what will happen to TCU's rankings after they play Utah? That should help their SOS some, right? Enough to move up?
                      It will.... Then it will take a pretty big hit because they finish the season with Wyoming and New Mexico.
                      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                        It will.... Then it will take a pretty big hit because they finish the season with Wyoming and New Mexico.
                        Hopefully that doesn't drop them below Boise St. (if they beat Utah, of course).

Comment

It is hard to say if it will be enough to move them up without a loss in front of them. If I just plug in a TCU win into a W/L model then I do see them moving up one spot (Utah moves down 5-6). But adding a game in isolation like that is usually not a good predictor of things for obvious reasons. To do it right, in terms of predicting, one should plug in all the expected outcomes based on the Vegas betting spreads and see what happens (but I'm not going to do that). That would be a reasonable predictor of what will happen to the computer models if TCU wins.
                          Last edited by pelagius; 11-09-2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                            this is a hard question because there is still so much football to play.

but, that's why college football is so much fun to talk about...

i would think that oklahoma state has a chance to play as an at large if they win out. therefore, i would say that the at large's will go to the SEC runner-up, TCU (if they win out) or Boise State (not both, if that happened i would be shocked!), USC (assuming they don't win the Pac-10, and Oklahoma State.

This list will be totally different next week, though.

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
                              Hopefully that doesn't drop them below Boise St. (if they beat Utah, of course).
                              Boise's remaining schedule is just as bad. The Broncos are going to be jumped by one-loss Georgia Tech if the Jackets beat Georgia.

Comment

Working...
                              X