X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU Fans Showing Their True Colors?

Chronicle of Shame

Various quotes:

Defensive end Jan Jorgensen was told after the TCU game, by his parents, that quarterback Max Hall's wife was verbally assaulted by a group of BYU fans as she sat in the stands watching the game. They wanted backup quarterback Riley Nelson, a sophomore, to replace her husband -- a three-year starter now on the verge of winning 10 games every year (6-2 this season, with five to play). They said a lot of uncomplimentary things about Max.

"It's unbelievable," said assistant coach Hill. "It's not like we're 0-6. We're 6-2 and still have a lot of goals in front of us. Twenty-one years of coaching and I've never seen anything like it."

Some Cowboy hecklers have been known to become Neanderthals when the Cougars come to town, several current and former players will attest. But that's still better than getting harsh treatment from people who are supposed to be on your side, Hill said.

"It's definitely getting to them," Hill said. "When you don't want to play in your own stadium? Come on. These guys aren't getting booed anywhere else."

Mendenhall summed it up: "I would hold friends, or even enemies, to a higher standard."
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    Chronicle of Shame

Various quotes:

Defensive end Jan Jorgensen was told after the TCU game, by his parents, that quarterback Max Hall's wife was verbally assaulted by a group of BYU fans as she sat in the stands watching the game. They wanted backup quarterback Riley Nelson, a sophomore, to replace her husband -- a three-year starter now on the verge of winning 10 games every year (6-2 this season, with five to play). They said a lot of uncomplimentary things about Max.

"It's unbelievable," said assistant coach Hill. "It's not like we're 0-6. We're 6-2 and still have a lot of goals in front of us. Twenty-one years of coaching and I've never seen anything like it."

Some Cowboy hecklers have been known to become Neanderthals when the Cougars come to town, several current and former players will attest. But that's still better than getting harsh treatment from people who are supposed to be on your side, Hill said.

"It's definitely getting to them," Hill said. "When you don't want to play in your own stadium? Come on. These guys aren't getting booed anywhere else."

Mendenhall summed it up: "I would hold friends, or even enemies, to a higher standard."
    There are idiots everywhere. I am a constant proponent of the fans have a right to gripe and complain, but there are limits. Even I would say fans like these could pack there bags and go elsewhere.

I would have been more impressed if Bronco had said, it is unfortunate that all fan bases have idiots in them. The bulk of our fans are far and away the best in the conference. Most of the ones who even boo are showing a frustration that even we as a team and coaches feel.

Let's not be dumb enough to lump all fans who boo into the same category as the jerks who went off on a players wife.

These guys don't get booed anywhere else. Come on. Maybe someone should let the coaches know it isn't the players who are being booed.
    Last edited by byu71; 11-06-2009, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Some fans just need to get a life. You can be angry about it, but leave the families out of your scorn and derision.

Good grief.
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Chronicle of Shame

Various quotes:

Shocking Hill has never seen that level of passion in fans of teams he's coached in the CFL, the XFL, or Humboldt State.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          Shocking Hill has never seen that level of passion in fans of teams he's coached in the CFL, the XFL, or Humboldt State.
          Well, long time program members, insiders and observers haven't ever seen it this bad either during a season where BYU was ranked, so maybe Hill is onto something.

Comment

I am wondering what her definition of verbal assault is. Is she crying because some people wanted her husband pulled, or did they actually say things about her to her? Is this like a BYU co-ed claiming rape when the dude tried to go up her shirt?

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
              Is this like a BYU co-ed claiming rape when the dude tried to go up her shirt?
              So you are you saying she might as well sit there and enjoy it?

Comment

So you are you saying she might as well sit there and enjoy it?
                That's what I told every girl I ever dated

Comment

Well, long time program members, insiders and observers haven't ever seen it this bad either during a season where BYU was ranked, so maybe Hill is onto something.
                  True and long time program members, insiders and observers haven't seen so much whining about fans coming from the coaches.

Chow was criticized. Bosco related incidents. I have been around since 1976 and there have been idiot fans forever. I have just never seen as much whining about not only the idiots, but regular fans who have the audacity to criticize. If the coaches would quit balling about it, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Comment

Have these people forgotten what it was like under Crowton? Is losing to FSU and TCU really that bad (okay, BYU got killed both times but still). Which coach out there can BYU hire that will win more than 10-11 games a year, what do these people want? Hall is going to win at least 9 games this year (I think 10 or even 11 is more likely). And BYU still hasn't realized the fruits of improved recruiting from the multiple 10+ win seasons.
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Is it even clear these fans knew who Sister Hall was?

For the record, and fan who thinks Riley Nelson would have made a big difference in the FSU or TCU games is a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                        True and long time program members, insiders and observers haven't seen so much whining about fans coming from the coaches.

Chow was criticized. Bosco related incidents. I have been around since 1976 and there have been idiot fans forever. I have just never seen as much whining about not only the idiots, but regular fans who have the audacity to criticize. If the coaches would quit balling about it, it wouldn't be such a big deal.
                        I agree that the coaches shouldn't be dumb enough to comment on it. However, I don't think the coaches refraining from commenting would have any impact whatsoever. There is a self loathing aspect to the BYU fanbase. You can see it in many of the really well educated and capable posters on this venue. Since you are neither well educated (BYU and the U of U..chuckle chuckle) nor capable your self loathing is because you are angry at yourself for buying that BYU wanted to be a real big time program. You gave money and want to convince yourself you were lied to rather than admitting you were unable to properly peg BYU's true potential.

But you got a mean golf game and by golly, I like you!

The fact is this, Mormons are pussies. Most of the fanbase are comprised of mormons as well as the coaching staff. Both could use the ability to send the world a great big glass of "STFU." Both are entirely too concerned with what others think of them. I like Mendenhall more when you folks are complaining that he isn't massaging your inner thighs by holding irrelevent games in the right places, or even at all. I worry when it appears the epidemic whining in the fanbase is getting to him and his staff because this fanbase has a much higher string puller percentage than most, save other than Utah which is comprised of the pussy Mormons and the equally pussy non-LDS Utah whiners whining about the Brethren keeping the man down.
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Those fans are idiots..

And Hill commenting on it is idiotic as well.

I have a feeling Bronco will hold this against fans for years to come now.. We are not all perfect and lds fans are just as passionate as other college sports teams..

Would this really be an issue anywhere else? I have seen former Steve Belasarus get blasted by fans worse then this.. Did it ever make the news?? No. Why. because he (the QB) and the coaches did not comment about it..

It would of been better to just let this go...

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                            Utah which is comprised of the pussy Mormons and the equally pussy non-LDS Utah whiners whining about the Brethren keeping the man down.

Well, that explains the Jazz fans then.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                              because you are angry at yourself for buying that BYU wanted to be a real big time program. You gave money and want to convince yourself you were lied to rather than admitting you were unable to properly peg BYU's true potential.
                              Right on, right on. Well, mostly right on, right on. The only thing I was lied to was about what my $10,000 was going to get me as far as seats go. Well, they changed there minds on how they wanted to do the East Side, so I guess I wasn't really lied to, was I.

Actually, I now operate mostly on fear. I fear not buying my seats anymore because maybe, just maybe when enough people stop kicking in the money, BYU will decide to step it up and they to will be able to properly peg BYU's true potential.

Mendenhall tells us the goals of BCS game and NC are reachable under his current way of approaching things. Who is fooling who? However, on the chance he might just pull it off, I don't dare quit giving the CC the money every year and buying the tickets.

So I would be actually OK with what is going on along as I was allowed to express some frustration that we aren't the Utes. However, then I have to get bombarded with how I am a crappy fan by Indy and his ilk because I am not elated with 10 wins and awesome firesides.

Just because these types think they are awesome because they don't want to see an R rated movie and I will if it is a really good one, you don't have to throw it in my face as to "who is on the Lord's side who."

Comment

Working...
                              X