Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this concern BYU football fans?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=8527443

Bronco seems to have gone from 'perfection' to competing for a national championship to this: hopefully winning the conference and 9-10 games a year (some would argue against inferior opponents in the MWC).

No drastic changes apparently are needed.

Concern for BYU fans? Happiness for Utah fans?

The comments were regarding what BYU was going to do differently the rest of the season after coming off of a bye week. To claim he's backtracking from his repeated comments earlier this year that BYU wants to compete for national championships in the future is classic exUte disingenuity.
    Last edited by Indy Coug; 11-05-2009, 05:37 AM.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
      The comments were regarding what BYU was going to do differently the rest of the season after coming off of a bye week. To claim he's backtracking from his repeated comments earlier this year that BYU wants to compete for national championships in the future is classic exUte disingenuity.
      Assuming you are a BYU fan, no concern then. Wonder how Utah fans feel?

Comment

Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
        Assuming you are a BYU fan, no concern then.
        This may be one of the most ironic statements ever.
        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I think competing for a conference title and winning a bowl game should be every team's primary goals. The other stuff is icing on the cake and too tough to produce consistently to really have as a serious goal, IMO. The Utah model is the right one. Don't go out there selling your fans on an undefeated season, just try to win the conference and in the years you are good, if things break right, you will have a chance at a BCS bowl.

Had Utah had an OOC loss in each of its BCS bowl run years, it would have just won the conference and BYU fans today would, rightly, still be crowing over their many conference titles. It is only the fact that Utah took the next step that makes BYU feel inadequate. But I just don't know if that is a productive goal for BYU or anyone. I think whatever motivation you derive from that, over time, will be more than offset by the disappointment and frustration of not being able to achieve it. I don't personally think BYU will ever do it because you need a schedule like this year's coupled with a defense that can handle the one or two truly good offenses you face. I just don't ever see the defenses being good enough to carry you there (though the offenses have been very good).

It will be tough for Utah to do again as well, but I think we have great defenses more often which makes it more likely for us, IMO. Same thing goes for TCU. This year may be their year, in fact.

Comment

Leadership works in an elder's quorum. I'm not sure it works as well on a football team. Please stop talking about leadership, Bronco. Scottie Johnson can be Winston Churchill in the locker room and on the practice field, but if he gets his ankles broken on a juke by a TCU WR in the open field, it doesn't mean jack.

Comment

Working...
            X