Top 10 favorite college football players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 favorite college football players

I remember last year there were a couple of great threads last year about most loved and hated pro athletes. I would enjoy reading about some of the boards favorites in the sport that most of us love more than any other.

My 10
    1. Ty Detmer. From 11-13 there was nothing this guy could do wrong in my eyes. Looking back now the reality is that those BYU teams were pretty similar to the Beck/Hall teams. Dominating the average, struggling with the good teams. There was something about Ty, that no matter the situation I thought BYU would win.

2. Shay Muirbrook. I don't know what it was, but I loved watched this guy play. It seemed like he was always making a play for the Cougs. His safety in the Cotton Bowl is maybe one of my favortie memories.

3. Joey Harrington. I had moved to Eugene dead set against becoming a Duck fan. I still hated the University of Oregon for how they had treated #1 on my list back in 1990. But watching the 2000 Ducks and Captain Comeback make play after play, winning dramatic games was amazing. Somewhere along the way I went from cheering against them to cheering for them. Then in 2001 I started going to the games, and that sealed the deal.

4. Dennis Dixon. This guy was a magician with the football. It was a thing of beauty to watch.

5. John Walsh. My love for him grew out of defending him in the stands. A brash 14-16 year old screaming at people in the stands calling for Tom Young. It is how I imagine the Kardashian kids grew to love OJ.

6. Jonathan Stewart. In Snoop's first game as a Duck he carried 7-8 Houston players about 10 yards. The guy was a talent that should have been at Oklahoma, Texas, USC. He signaled a change in perception for Oregon.

7. Luke Staley. It seemed like everytime he touched the ball he was going to find the endzone.

8. Chis Smith. Detmer's favorite target, wild man TE running and jumping over people.

9. Walter Thurmond III. A legit lockdown corner, kick and punt returner. This guy was always making a play.

10. Jeremiah Masoli. I think he could move as high as #4 on this list by the end of next year. Running over people, throwing darts, the guy is amazing.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

I know I'll forget some, but I'll give it a shot...

1. Detmer
    2. Rodney Thomas
    3. Bob Davis
    4. Leon White
    5. Tommie Frazier
    6. LeRoy Butler
    7. Marvin Graves
    8. Andy Boyce
    9. Bernie Kosar
    10. Dee Dowis
    Last edited by smokymountainrain; 11-04-2009, 11:15 AM.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      I remember last year there were a couple of great threads last year about most loved and hated pro athletes. I would enjoy reading about some of the boards favorites in the sport that most of us love more than any other.

My 10
      1. Ty Detmer. From 11-13 there was nothing this guy could do wrong in my eyes. Looking back now the reality is that those BYU teams were pretty similar to the Beck/Hall teams. Dominating the average, struggling with the good teams. There was something about Ty, that no matter the situation I thought BYU would win.

2. Shay Muirbrook. I don't know what it was, but I loved watched this guy play. It seemed like he was always making a play for the Cougs. His safety in the Cotton Bowl is maybe one of my favortie memories.

3. Joey Harrington. I had moved to Eugene dead set against becoming a Duck fan. I still hated the University of Oregon for how they had treated #1 on my list back in 1990. But watching the 2000 Ducks and Captain Comeback make play after play, winning dramatic games was amazing. Somewhere along the way I went from cheering against them to cheering for them. Then in 2001 I started going to the games, and that sealed the deal.

4. Dennis Dixon. This guy was a magician with the football. It was a thing of beauty to watch.

5. John Walsh. My love for him grew out of defending him in the stands. A brash 14-16 year old screaming at people in the stands calling for Tom Young. It is how I imagine the Kardashian kids grew to love OJ.

6. Jonathan Stewart. In Snoop's first game as a Duck he carried 7-8 Houston players about 10 yards. The guy was a talent that should have been at Oklahoma, Texas, USC. He signaled a change in perception for Oregon.

7. Luke Staley. It seemed like everytime he touched the ball he was going to find the endzone.

8. Chis Smith. Detmer's favorite target, wild man TE running and jumping over people.

9. Walter Thurmond III. A legit lockdown corner, kick and punt returner. This guy was always making a play.

10. Jeremiah Masoli. I think he could move as high as #4 on this list by the end of next year. Running over people, throwing darts, the guy is amazing.
      Masoli was a juco. Therefore he sucks. Get him off there.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

You guys are too young. I will have to take more time to round out a full list of 10, bnut any BYU fan has got to include Jim Mcmahon on the list (whihc is why he should be in the HoF). Like Detmer,you always thought he could win a game no matter waht. A force of nature. fearless. He was always exciting.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

My 10

whoa. he is in your top 10 of all time after 3/4 of one season?

someone is still a little punch drunk, I can see.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

1. Ty Detmer
            2. Shay Muirbrook
            3. Luke Staley
            4. Reggie Bush
            5. John Tait
            6. Austin Collie
            7. Todd Watkins
            8. Jan Jorgensen
            9. Dennis Pitta
            10. John Beck
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

1. John Beck, he brought BYU back from the dead and left us with one the greatest moments in Cougar History

2. Davey Pollack, 3-Time All American and a great kid. Broken neck ended his career far too early

3. Steve Young, great in college and great in the pros

4. The 2006-2007 LB corps, I miss you guys

5. Knowshon Moreno, I saw him play in the UGA spring game his redshirt year and you could tell right away he was gonna be a star

6. Sophmore Year Jernaro Gilford, have we ever had a CB that impressive in BYU history?

7. Luke Staley and Austin Collie, the exception to slow, White, skill position players

8. Jake Heaps, for bringing in the 2010 class of recruits that would give Ute fans priapism

9. Brandon Doman, good college QB even better CFB coach and recruiter

10. CJ Ah You, because he sucker punched Engemann in front of pro scouts, and that is too damn funny

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                whoa. he is in your top 10 of all time after 3/4 of one season?

someone is still a little punch drunk, I can see.
                3/4 of one season? He dominated Okie State in a bowl game last year, dropped 65 points on the Beavos and destroyed their Rose Bowl dreams. Game winning drive against Stanford. Points and yards in bundles against Arizona. While leading the team to a 10 win season in 2008. He has 2 pretty strong years, next year would be a good chance for 3. He also still has flop potential and could easily become the next Kellen Clemens, John Beck or Max Hall and never be seen on the list again.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

1. Detmer
                  2. Rodney Thomas
                  3. Bob Davis
                  4. Leon White
                  5. Tommie Frazier
                  6. LeRoy Butler
                  7. Marvin Graves
                  8. Andy Boyce
                  9. Bernie Kosar
                  10. Dee Dowis
                  I'll go ahead and give honorable mention to a few PAC 10 guys I forgot...Eric Turner, Rodney Peete, Marcus Trufant, Napoleon Kaufman, Bill Musgrave and even a ute...Errol Tucker.
                  Last edited by smokymountainrain; 11-04-2009, 11:15 AM.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

1. Detmer
                    2. Rodney Thomas
                    3. Bob Davis
                    4. Leon White
                    5. Tommy Frazier
                    6. LeRoy Butler
                    7. Marvin Graves
                    8. Andy Boyce
                    9. Bernie Kosar
                    10. Dee Dowis
                    A friend of mine was hung by Bob out a 3rd story window by the ankles...he probably should be ranked higher on your list for that fact alone.

Comment

My top 5:

1. Detmer
                      2. Doman
                      3. Staley
                      4. Sarkisian
                      5. Beck

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                        A friend of mine was hung by Bob out a 3rd story window by the ankles...he probably should be ranked higher on your list for that fact alone.
                        That does not surprise me in the least. It's those kinds of antics that are a big reason he's as high on the list as he is.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

3/4 of one season? He dominated Okie State in a bowl game last year, dropped 65 points on the Beavos and destroyed their Rose Bowl dreams. Game winning drive against Stanford. Points and yards in bundles against Arizona. While leading the team to a 10 win season in 2008. He has 2 pretty strong years, next year would be a good chance for 3. He also still has flop potential and could easily become the next Kellen Clemens, John Beck or Max Hall and never be seen on the list again.
                          oh yeah. my bad. I forgot that he was around last season. who was the other dude that broke his ankle or whatever? dennis dixon? was that last year?

I guess I haven't been paying enough attention. he is definitely having a nice year this season.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
                            My top 5:

1. Detmer
                            2. Doman
                            3. Staley
                            4. Sarkisian
                            5. Beck
                            scotty, you are true blue!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              oh yeah. my bad. I forgot that he was around last season. who was the other dude that broke his ankle or whatever? dennis dixon? was that last year?

I guess I haven't been paying enough attention. he is definitely having a nice year this season.
                              Dixon blew out his knee in 2007, Kellen Clemens busted his ankle in 2005.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                              X