BYU has never had 4 straight years of less than 4 losses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU has never had 4 straight years of less than 4 losses

They are on target to do this for the first time in history.

http://www.cougarstats.com/fbseasons.html
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post

Cool, what does that kind of record get you.

How many BCS bowl games?

How many top ten finishes?

How many conference championships?

How many dominating victories over your rival?

My guess would be 1,2, 3 and 3. Am I close.

By the way, in our ward the Priests beat the Laurels 9 out of 10 years.

Comment

That is impressive considering that three years ago the NCAA increased from 11-game seasons to 12-game seasons. They've gone from losing 4 out of 11 to 3 out of 12.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        It gets you a record better than any BYU has had against other Laurel teams of the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
          That is impressive considering that three years ago the NCAA increased from 11-game seasons to 12-game seasons. They've gone from losing 4 out of 11 to 3 out of 12.
          A lot of those seasons, BYU got extra games for Hawaii road games, preseason "bowl" games and conference championship games.

BYU had 14 games in 1985 and 2001 and 15 games in 1996.

Comment

A lot of those seasons, BYU got extra games for Hawaii road games, preseason "bowl" games and conference championship games.

BYU had 14 games in 1985 and 2001 and 15 games in 1996.
            On second thought, it's not impressive. Fire Donko.

Kidding. Check this out:

NCAA Division I-A's best records over the past 30 games:
            28-2 Utah
            27-3 Boise State
            26-4 Florida
            26-4 Texas
            25-5 BYU
            25-5 Penn State
            25-5 TCU
            25-5 USC
            24-6 Alabama
            24-6 Cincinnati

Comment

It really is a great run we're having, but I'd trade our records over that time for Utah's.

I'd rather have a bunch of 6-6 and 7-5 mixed in with the occasional BCS game than an endless string of 10-2.

Comment

When I get down over BYU football, I think of the way Nebraska has struggled the last several seasons -- and with significantly more in the way of resources and tradition at their disposal than BYU. Look at the way Syracuse has fallen from being a perennial 9 and 10 win team in the 90s to sucking it up the last few years.

There are good coaches and good players all over the country. Frankly it's pretty surprising that BYU has had the relatively sustained excellence (within a mediocre league) that they have had over the last 30 years.

I think Bronco and his staff will get better, too. They will hopefully figure out what it takes to compete with TCU -- and that it's not just better execution.

Comment

I attribute this primarily to Max Hall's readiness his sophomore season. It's been a long time since a BYU QB has stepped in his first starting season and done that well.

The other thing different than other four year periods is that we haven't had any QB injuries, which has been a blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    I attribute this primarily to Max Hall's readiness his sophomore season. It's been a long time since a BYU QB has stepped in his first starting season and done that well.

The other thing different than other four year periods is that we haven't had any QB injuries, which has been a blessing.
                    This is an important point. I was at that first Arizona game and I remember coming away very impressed at what Hall was able to do in his first game for BYU.

That said, I feel like he his his ceiling very quickly. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have a QB come in and struggle for a while and then achieve legendary status.

Comment

How many BCS bowl games?

How many top ten finishes?

How many conference championships?

How many dominating victories over your rival?

My guess would be 1,2, 3 and 3. Am I close.

By the way, in our ward the Priests beat the Laurels 9 out of 10 years.

70's,80's 90's set a foundation to do bigger and better things. Some bigger and better things were done. Bigger stadium, much better facilities, much higher intiation fee's to get into the Club (cougar club), higher ticket prices, higher salaries for the coaches. These are all great things and we can thank the fans and boosters for kicking in the bucks as a reward for that foundation.

Now, what have we done to better that foundation. Win a BCS game? Be in a better conference? Dominate a non-BCS conference? Top ten finishes?

Look, I am happy with 10 wins and what Bronco has done. Just don't ask me to be elated about it.

Comment

Are we assuming we won't lose two more games this years? I expect to lose against Utah and wouldn't be surprised if we lost to either AFA or Wyoming. The streak might be intact yet.
                        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Look, I am happy with 10 wins and what Bronco has done. Just don't ask me to be elated about it.
                          I don't recall asking you to do anything other than to guess how many fingers I'm currently holding up.

Comment

I don't recall asking you to do anything other than to guess how many fingers I'm currently holding up.
                            Have you ever heard of someone making a generic statement. I should have known better. You think if someone answers a thread of yours then everyting they say is about you.

OK, since I know you feel that way. Go f-yourself.

Comment

Have you ever heard of someone making a generic statement. I should have known better. You think if someone answers a thread of yours then everyting they say is about you.

OK, since I know you feel that way. Go f-yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X