MWC v. Big East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MWC v. Big East

During the Army- Rutgers game on ESPN they are disussing which conference is better. One guy is arguing that the MWC only has three legit teams in BYU, TCU and Utah, while the Big East has four in Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati and South Florida.

I think it is a stretch to include South Florida. Since 2004 the Big East is 3-2 in their BCS games, with one of those losses (and IMO the worst BCS team in that year) was Utah demolishing of Pitt.

The Big East has 0 appearances in the Championship game since Miami and Virgnia Tech left. Over that same span, the Pac 10 has had 2, the Big 10 2, the Big 12 3, and the SEC 3. For that matter, the ACC has also been shut out with 0 appearances.

I think the Big east is weaker than the ACC and if they deserve a auto bid so does the mwc.

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
    During the Army- Rutgers game on ESPN they are disussing which conference is better. One guy is arguing that the MWC only has three legit teams in BYU, TCU and Utah, while the Big East has four in Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati and South Florida.

I think it is a stretch to include South Florida. Since 2004 the Big East is 3-2 in their BCS games, with one of those losses (and IMO the worst BCS team in that year) was Utah demolishing of Pitt.

The Big East has 0 appearances in the Championship game since Miami and Virgnia Tech left. Over that same span, the Pac 10 has had 2, the Big 10 2, the Big 12 3, and the SEC 3. For that matter, the ACC has also been shut out with 0 appearances.

I think the Big east is weaker than the ACC and if they deserve a auto bid so does the mwc.
    South Florida nor Cincinnati have any sustained period of excellence or even national notoriety in college football. Cincinnati is enjoying a nice run right now this season.

I will give them WVA and Pitt (although that is generous).

To be fair, TCU has only recently been good, but at least they have been consistently really good in the past several years. Utah and BYU in the coversation need no explanation.

I am not ready to put the MWC on par with the ACC. Big names like FSU, Miami, BC, Va Tech.....those are some big dudes. And I think the last time we played each of them we lost. But Big East....yes.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      South Florida nor Cincinnati have any sustained period of excellence or even national notoriety in college football. Cincinnati is enjoying a nice run right now this season.

I will give them WVA and Pitt (although that is generous).

To be fair, TCU has only recently been good, but at least they have been consistently really good in the past several years. Utah and BYU in the coversation need no explanation.

I am not ready to put the MWC on par with the ACC. Big names like FSU, Miami, BC, Va Tech.....those are some big dudes. And I think the last time we played each of them we lost. But Big East....yes.
      Agreed. The ACC is down this year, but that league has legit teams.

However, the Big East sucks. If somehow the MWC gets a BCS bid, I am positive that BYU, Utah, or TCU would demolish the Big East autobid should they get matched up.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

I would put TCU on par with South Florida.

Actually, this year, SF has a much harder schedule with 5 opponents in the top #25 compared to TCU's 2 teams. TCU just seems to get the hype, most likely due to the bowl game victory over BSU. It will be interesting to see how well they do against bYu and Utah. I can see them slipping out of the top 25 quick, leaving only 2 top 25 teams in the MWC to 3 in the Big East.
        I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
          I would put TCU on par with South Florida.

Actually, this year, SF has a much harder schedule with 5 opponents in the top #25 compared to TCU's 2 teams. TCU just seems to get the hype, most likely due to the bowl game victory over BSU. It will be interesting to see how well they do against bYu and Utah. I can see them slipping out of the top 25 quick, leaving only 2 top 25 teams in the MWC to 3 in the Big East.
          South Florida wasn't on par with TCU before they lost their QB. They definitely aren't now.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

TCU is overrated. Besides two legit teams in BYU and Utah, their opponents are weak.
            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
              TCU is overrated. Besides two legit teams in BYU and Utah, their opponents are weak.
              TCU beat 2 ACC teams on the road. Get back to me when BYU beats 2 BCS conference teams on the road in a single season. I am aware that these ACC teams are not very good but still...
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

TCU has been good on pushing a decade. Weren't they talked about as a possible BCS buster with LaDanian in 99 or 00?
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                X