Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone:

Good or not?

My phone plan is about to expire (bite me, Verizon) and my iPod is about to bite the dust too (it's a second gen nano that I have abused ritually). I am thinking about getting an iPhone.

Thoughts?

How easy is it to swap out my nano for the iPhone in terms of getting iTunes to give me all my music?
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

I have the 3G version, and even though 3G coverage supposedly blankets all of Los Angeles, I seldom get 3G reception. The GPS is nice, but without any whistles and bells. The version of Safari lacks a Flash player.

The phone is ok, but has a lot of room for improvement. It is my first internet phone, so constant access to the internet is a pretty great feature, and internet synced GPS searching will change your life (if you don't have it already).

Battery life stinks. I have to plug it in whenever I can.

Comment

My boss has one and just loves it. The battery is the one downer. But, he turns off the GPS when he doesn't need it and it helps a lot.

Several months ago at a conference, a colleague of mine showed a few of us the ssh client he bought for his iPhone. He connected to one of the supercomputers at his lab and pulled up a data set in an analysis tool. So there he was, spinning around this complex dataset on his iPhone.

We all had to go change our undies.
      I intend to live forever.
      So far, so good.
      --Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
        My boss has one and just loves it. The battery is the one downer. But, he turns off the GPS when he doesn't need it and it helps a lot.

Several months ago at a conference, a colleague of mine showed a few of us the ssh client he bought for his iPhone. He connected to one of the supercomputers at his lab and pulled up a data set in an analysis tool. So there he was, spinning around this complex dataset on his iPhone.

We all had to go change our undies.
        ssh in the iphone; that is very cool. With that feature I wonder if I could justify that as a research expense?

Comment

I know probably 10 people who have one, ranging from Mac geeks to non-mac geeks and each and every one of them would buy one again.

I will also say this, I know somebody who has a vested interest in a lot of other cell phone makers and not Apple. When the iPhone was released he gave 20 reasons why it would fail and stated that he would never get one. Now, his wife and two of his kids have iPhones, and he is also considering purchasing one.

I'm looking to make the switch as well once my contract expires. I've even considered buying my way out of my current contract to buy one sooner, but I am a bit of a Mac-nerd.

Comment

Since Gidget and me relocated and our contracts expired, I have been wanting a new phone. The iPhone is nice. If it were cheaper and the plans that came with it, I think I would consider purchasing one. If price weren't an option I'd be looking at a Nokia N95.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Check out the Samsung Instinct.
              *Banned*

Comment

for me, it is too late to be an early adopter, so there is no allure in getting the iPhone anymore.

I am the wrong demographic for the iPhone. As far as functionality, I don't use a phone to watch TV or listen to music, so I don't care about that. And rarely do I find myself lost on the road or in need of the name of a local seafood restaurant. I don't care about downloading games.

I was on a recent flight from Boston and my co-worker had a PSP type device. He was watching a movie on it. He let me look at it. After about 15 minutes of watching the movie on this tiny screen, I lost interest, got annoyed, and went back to reading. I just dont ever anticipate enjoying watching movies on such a tiny screen.

My main beef was with the iPhone was that I did not like typing on the keyboard. It felt a bit clumsy. I only care about using my phone to send emails and texts. And I send a ton of email on a weekly basis.

The iPhone looks very cool, though. It is a sleek device. Beyond that, not interested, esp at the price. too bad for me because I really wanted to love the device.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I love my iPhone. It has it's quirks to be sure. As DDD mentions the keyboard can be clumsy but it is manageable and it, most times, is correct when guessing what I meant to type. I have yet to find a device that can do all the iPhone can do as smoothly as it can do it. Having had different models of windows based phones and multiple BB's, I would say if you are strictly business the BB is probably still for you but if you are looking for a multi function phone, the iPhone is the best I have found.

I messed with a Google G1 in early October and it was okay, had some cool features but once again struggled with hang ups and freezing. Maybe this was pre-release bugs, I will have to check it out again.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    for me, it is too late to be an early adopter, so there is no allure in getting the iPhone anymore.

I am the wrong demographic for the iPhone. As far as functionality, I don't use a phone to watch TV or listen to music, so I don't care about that. And rarely do I find myself lost on the road or in need of the name of a local seafood restaurant. I don't care about downloading games.

I was on a recent flight from Boston and my co-worker had a PSP type device. He was watching a movie on it. He let me look at it. After about 15 minutes of watching the movie on this tiny screen, I lost interest, got annoyed, and went back to reading. I just dont ever anticipate enjoying watching movies on such a tiny screen.

My main beef was with the iPhone was that I did not like typing on the keyboard. It felt a bit clumsy. I only care about using my phone to send emails and texts. And I send a ton of email on a weekly basis.

The iPhone looks very cool, though. It is a sleek device. Beyond that, not interested, esp at the price. too bad for me because I really wanted to love the device.
                    Your avatar is scaring me.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      Your avatar is scaring me.
                      Kind of John Locke-ish, wouldn't you say?

he, he. Nice touch DDD.
                      I intend to live forever.
                      So far, so good.
                      --Steven Wright

Comment

Allegedly the prophet and rest of quorum of the 12 all have iPhones. Not that that would sway your decision at all....

Comment

Working...
                        X