Bronco v. the MWC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco v. the MWC

I thought it would be interesting to look at Bronco's record v. the MWC. Given that he has been here 4 complete seasons and is into his 5th year, I figured there were probably some interesting trends we could find. So here is how Bronco stacks up against the MWC.

Against the conference as a whole, Bronco is 29-5, for a winning percentage of 85%. Not too shabby. Yes, we want 100%, but Bronco has gone undefeated in conference play twice, something no other coach can claim to have done since the MWC was formed. If you remove Bronco's first season as head coach, BYU has gone 24-2, or a winning percetnage of 92%.

The average score of a conference game is 35-21, a 2 TD differential.

When BYU scores 24 points or more under Bronco in MWC play, they are 27-3, with their lone losses against Utah last year, TCU and Utah Bronco's first year. When BYU's defense gives up less than 24 points, they are 20-0.

In games that are decided by 10 points or less, BYU is 10-2. Both losses came in Bronco's first year. Since then, they are 8-0 in conference games decided by 10 points or less.

Interestingly enough, here are the margin(s) of victory for BYU against conference opponents:

Air Force: 19.75
    CSU: 14.4
    New Mexico: 13.25
    SDSU: 9.75
    TCU: -1.75
    UNLV: 28.2
    Utah: -5.5
    Wyoming: 32.75

Obviously, the two teams that he has a .500 record against, are the ones that have a higher MOV. The Utah is not surprising, given that the two wins were within a TD, one loss was also within a TD, and one loss was by 24. TCU, as well, with one loss being a 1-point loss, and the second being Bronco's worst conference loss of 25 points. SDSU is also a bit of a surprise that they are the 3rd closest team in MOV with less than a 10-point differential. Granted, if you take out the one loss, the MOV for BYU jumps back up to over 20. The one loss is really bringing the MOV down. Not surprising, BYU averages a conference best against UNLV, with an average score of 46.4 points per game. The team they hold to the lowest point total is Wyoming at 9.5 points per game.

If Bronco can run the conference again this year, which is possible with both TCU and Utah at home, then his record will be very impressive against conference foes, with a 5-year record of 88%. Even if he splits the TCU-Utah, his winning percentage will be 85% over 5 years in conference play. Pretty impressive. If you had given me that choice when Bronco started, I would have taken it, no questions asked.

I am guessing Bronco is well aware of this as the Defense set a goal this year to keep teams under 24 points. That is good stuff Sizz.

Unbelievable record by Bronco, do you happen to know the Home/Road splits?
    *Banned*

Comment

The stat I'm least impressed with in there is 20-34 for holding the opposing team to less than 24 points. I hoped for more wins, but I also hoped for better defenses when he was hired as head coach.

<combing out my Negative Nelly ringlets>

EDIT: Again a hack.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        I am guessing Bronco is well aware of this as the Defense set a goal this year to keep teams under 24 points. That is good stuff Sizz.

Unbelievable record by Bronco, do you happen to know the Home/Road splits?
        Average MOV at home has been 20 ppg. Average MOV on the road is 8 ppg.

BYU averages close to 40 ppg at home, and 31 ppg on the road. They give up an average of just under 19 at home and just over 23 on the road.

Bronco has lost 2 conference games at home, for a record of 15-2, and only 3 games on the road, for a record of 14-3. As impressive as the home record is, the road record is more impressive to me, winning 82% of road conference games.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
          Average MOV at home has been 20 ppg. Average MOV on the road is 8 ppg.

BYU averages close to 40 ppg at home, and 31 ppg on the road. They give up an average of just under 19 at home and just over 23 on the road.

Bronco has lost 2 conference games at home, for a record of 15-2, and only 3 games on the road, for a record of 14-3. As impressive as the home record is, the road record is more impressive to me, winning 82% of road conference games.
          That road record is pretty impressive, especially considering that in a few weeks it will be better than the home record.
          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
            That road record is pretty impressive, especially considering that in a few weeks it will be better than the home record.
            True because 3 out of BYUs next 4 games are on the road. But by seasons end it will even out once again.
            *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
              The stat I'm least impressed with in there is 20-34 for holding the opposing team to less than 24 points. I hoped for more wins, but I also hoped for better defenses when he was hired as head coach.

<combing out my Negative Nelly ringlets>

EDIT: Again a hack.
              They have also scored 40 points or more 18 of the 34 games they have played. That is more than 50% of the time.

They have given up 30 points or more 9 out of 34 games. All five of their losses come from those 9 games. So basically, if the defense has held to under 30, they have won.

Not surprisingly, BYU's two years they went undefeated, they held conference opponents to 14.13 ppg in 2006 and 16.13 in 2007. Here are the defensive ppg:

2005: 29.63
              2006: 14.13
              2007: 16.13
              2008: 24.5
              2009: 22

As an interesting note, the defense this year is giving up about 3 points more than their average to the teams they have played (CSU average = 19.6, actual = 23, UNLV average = 18.2, actual = 21).

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                True because 3 out of BYUs next 4 games are on the road. But by seasons end it will even out once again.
                So you're already conceding the loss to TCU?
                "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

I think BYU's average defense has been suprising to me as well. I thought with Bronco as head coach the defense would be a strength. I'm hoping that as more of "Bronco's" recruits come in, it will become more of a strength. I think the defense was hit the hardest by defections and player misconduct. Not too mention defense has rarely been a strength of a BYU team, so Bronco has kind of been forced to build from the ground up.
                  "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
                  —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
                    I think BYU's average defense has been suprising to me as well. I thought with Bronco as head coach the defense would be a strength. I'm hoping that as more of "Bronco's" recruits come in, it will become more of a strength. I think the defense was hit the hardest by defections and player misconduct. Not too mention defense has rarely been a strength of a BYU team, so Bronco has kind of been forced to build from the ground up.
                    Removing the first year defensive totals from the average, BYU's d gives up on average 18.54 points per game. Not terrible. But probably not where we had hoped he would be. I think if it were down to 17 ppg, we'd be thrilled.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                      I think if it were down to 17 ppg, we'd be thrilled.
                      Sounds about right to me. Thanks for breaking the stats down for the individual comments, Sizzle.

Comment

Working...
                      X