PDA

View Full Version : Collie going pro

Sizzle
12-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Not surprised. Not much more to accomplish at BYU.

Surfah
12-20-2008, 10:38 PM

I'd leave if I were him also.

Sizzle
12-20-2008, 10:39 PM
I'd leave if I were him also.

BYU is going to be a 8-5 team next year.

Goatnapper'96
12-20-2008, 10:40 PM

I think you will be wrong. Mendenhall teams don't lose that many games to teams they should beat. The schedule will be better next year but not that much better. Perhaps TCU and Utah will reload but that isn't extremely likely. I also think Hall can improve.

Surfah
12-20-2008, 10:41 PM

I know. I guess that's why this season has left such a bad taste in my mouth. This was one of those one in ten seasons and they blew it.

Goatnapper'96
12-20-2008, 10:44 PM
I know. I guess that's why this season has left such a bad taste in my mouth. This was one of those one in ten seasons and they blew it.

The defensive talent was not there for one of those seasons. However, Hall's regression was not real fun to watch. If the defense improves and Hall comes out of his fog, next year could be that year. Let's not get overemotional. BYU has a great deal of talented and experienced players returning and its leaders should be seniors next year.

Sizzle
12-20-2008, 10:45 PM
I think you will be wrong. Mendenhall teams don't lose that many games to teams they should beat. The schedule will be better next year but not that much better. Perhaps TCU and Utah will reload but that isn't extremely likely. I also think Hall can improve.

Assuming that BYU plays Oklahoma and Florida State, those are two losses there. Defensively we should get a bit better, but I don't think it will make up for the loss offensively of Collie. I expect us to lose 2 conference games, though I pray one of them is not to Utah, and most likely a Bowl game.

I don't fault Collie. I'd do the same thing.

YOhio
12-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Where did you see this?

il Padrino Ute
12-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Hans Olson was just talking about this and he made a great point for Collie to consider:

If he chooses to go pro, he'll be in for the biggest shock of his life. He'll go from being the best college receiver in the nation to an absolute nobody who will have the fight of his life to make a roster. He'll be the guy who has to carry the veterans pads. He'll be the guy who gets fined for every dropped pass in practice. He'll be the guy who gets tied up and thrown in the cold pool. He'll be nothing and like it.

Does he really want to go through that?

Goatnapper'96
12-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Hans Olson was just talking about this and he made a great point for Collie to consider:

If he chooses to go pro, he'll be in for the biggest shock of his life. He'll go from being the best college receiver in the nation to an absolute nobody who will have the fight of his life to make a roster. He'll be the guy who has to carry the veterans pads. He'll be the guy who gets fined for every dropped pass in practice. He'll be the guy who gets tied up and thrown in the cold pool. He'll be nothing and like it.

I would spoon with Rosanne Barr for the money he will get to endure that.

Surfah
12-20-2008, 10:58 PM

There's enough digits on that check do most things.

il Padrino Ute
12-20-2008, 11:05 PM
There's enough digits on that check do most things.

I agree. The money would be enough to make everything else easier to tolerate.

I just thought it was an interesting point that Olson had made - going from the best to a nobody. Despite the $$, it can still be a tough pill to learn to swallow.

il Padrino Ute
12-20-2008, 11:07 PM
I would spoon with Rosanne Barr for the money he will get to endure that.

To spoon with Rosanne Barr would require Warren Buffet kind of money for me to even think about it.

New Mexican Disaster
12-20-2008, 11:08 PM

I just thought it was an interesting point that Olson had made - going from the best to a nobody. Despite the $$, it can still be a tough pill to learn to swallow.

I highly doubt he'll be a nobody. He'll be productive, and soon. And that stuff would happen whenever he is a rookie, be that this year or next.

il Padrino Ute
12-20-2008, 11:10 PM
I highly doubt he'll be a nobody. He'll be productive and soon.

He'll be treated as a nobody until he proves himself a somebody. That's just how it goes in pro sports.

Goatnapper'96
12-20-2008, 11:12 PM

You think Austin Collie gives much consideration to the notion that he won't be the best?

il Padrino Ute
12-20-2008, 11:22 PM
You think Austin Collie gives much consideration to the notion that he won't be the best?

I think Collie believes that he is the man. He has to think that in order to be able to make it to the next level.

However, convincing himself is easier than convincing everybody else. Nobody is going to kiss his ass until he proves it should be kissed.

I'm not saying he shouldn't go. I think he should go pro because he has nothing more to prove at BYU and staying one more year could invite a serious injury. That would suck.

I'm just repeating what Olson was saying - that Collie needs to be ready to not be treated as the man.

ERCougar
12-20-2008, 11:28 PM

Even in my discouraged, pissed-off state, I'm much more optimistic than that. Oklahoma's our only sure loss. We'll beat FSU. Utah's always a crapshoot, but they're losing a lot. TCU's a tough one. I say we lose 2.

SteelBlue
12-20-2008, 11:48 PM
We'll beat FSU.

I've seen nothing this year that would make me so confident.

Hallelujah
12-21-2008, 01:43 PM
The defensive talent was not there for one of those seasons. However, Hall's regression was not real fun to watch. If the defense improves and Hall comes out of his fog, next year could be that year. Let's not get overemotional. BYU has a great deal of talented and experienced players returning and its leaders should be seniors next year.

Until he goes to his 2nd, 3rd or 4th options, he will be the same with respect to the passing game.

UtahDan
12-21-2008, 02:33 PM

$$$$

woot
12-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Is there a source that Collie is going pro or is this just speculation?

He's easily the best player on the team, but I do wonder if losing him would force Hall to learn how to throw it to the guy that's open, not the first guy he looks at. Probably not.

Surfah
12-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Is there a source that Collie is going pro or is this just speculation?

He's easily the best player on the team, but I do wonder if losing him would force Hall to learn how to throw it to the guy that's open, not the first guy he looks at. Probably not.

His conversation with Wrubel after the game. He didn't exactly say it. But it was implied.

RC Vikings
12-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Maybe he's tired of running back kick offs. Is he that much better then anybody else on the team that it's worth risking an injury to him.

hyrum
12-21-2008, 04:23 PM

12 more firesides

DrumNFeather
12-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Maybe he's tired of running back kick offs. Is he that much better then anybody else on the team that it's worth risking an injury to him.

I would think that in his initial season in the NFL, he'll be a return guy...and I think he'd be quite good.