Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reason BYU is not undefeated:

Originally posted by Austin Collie
    “I don’t think that’s because of the teams we played—I think we’re equally if not more talented than the teams we’ve played—it’s just that we beat ourselves,” he said.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...v=ap&type=lgns

I am going to miss Austin Collie.

I thought it was because two teams scored more points than BYU did. I guess it was because of arrogant quotes though.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

I'm going to miss Austin Collie too. He is a great player and he gets under Ute fans skin. Two for one deal there!

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
        I don't know why you would say this. If it were true (which it may or may not be), it means you severely underachieved, because it isn't like you barely lost to either team. Both times you got your ass kicked. Prove that you deserved to win by beating the piss out of Arizona, then talk.

Sadly, I think BYU loses tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
          I don't know why you would say this. If it were true (which it may or may not be), it means you severely underachieved, because it isn't like you barely lost to either team. Both times you got your ass kicked. Prove that you deserved to win by beating the piss out of Arizona, then talk.

Sadly, I think BYU loses tonight.
          I find that top perfromers in most fields are very arrogant and rarely think they were beaten by someone better. The arrotgance is one of the reasons they are a top perfromer.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
            I find that top perfromers in most fields are very arrogant and rarely think they were beaten by someone better. The arrotgance is one of the reasons they are a top perfromer.
            I agree. Whether in business, sports, or message boards, the best are always a little arrogant, I would say.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              I agree. Whether in business, sports, or message boards, the best are always a little arrogant, I would say.
              That isn't my experience. Yes they are arrogant, but I am accustomed to seeing the best say that they didn't do all they could while simultaneously crediting their adversary. Austin is just the latest in a long line of BYU players who only think BYU beats BYU and recently that has worked jut fine for BYU. You will win tonight and that is 3 years of 11 wins so you can't complaint too much about that. This is just something in the football culture there. It occurs too much not to be. See Poppinga, Brown, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                While that may be true, they don't have to come out and say it. I'm sure they believe it, but you don't have to always say it.

Comment

Austin is just the latest in a long line of BYU players who only think BYU beats BYU and recently that has worked jut fine for BYU. You will win tonight and that is 3 years of 11 wins so you can't complaint too much about that. This is just something in the football culture there.

BYU has preached execution going back since Lavell took over. Bronco has amplified that sentiment since becoming head coach. The players get that from the top.
                  From the article you quoted from:

Originally posted by Bronco Mendenhall
                  It’s about our preparation, our position mastery and our execution. We really don’t acknowledge whom we’re playing or where, and so our approach has just been very consistent.
                  It isn't surprising the players feel that if they lose it was because they didn't execute properly, which is true but says nothing to the other team's affect on the poor execution. But I'd say the execution mantra is a big part of the success BYU has had.

Comment

That isn't my experience. Yes they are arrogant, but I am accustomed to seeing the best say that they didn't do all they could while simultaneously crediting their adversary. Austin is just the latest in a long line of BYU players who only think BYU beats BYU and recently that has worked jut fine for BYU. You will win tonight and that is 3 years of 11 wins so you can't complaint too much about that. This is just something in the football culture there. It occurs too much not to be. See Poppinga, Brown, etc.
                    Have to disagree a little. The best always think they're the best, they just may be pretty at saying the right thing in public. Collie's not so good at that.

There are certainly the losers who think they're the best and talk a big game, but Collie's not in that class.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      Have to disagree a little. The best always think they're the best, they just may be pretty at saying the right thing in public. Collie's not so good at that.
                      If you listen to entire interviews of Collie, he doesn't come across badly at all. He definitely comes across as a little cocky, but even more, he speaks his mind. This means he will say things that a reporter can use as a sound byte and get a reaction with. People criticize athletes for only speaking in cliches, but when you get someone who doesn't, people say they should shut up.

In addition, this, like the whole magic happens quote, is an instance of Collie getting grief for things that are really not uncommon for athletes to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                        If you listen to entire interviews of Collie, he doesn't come across badly at all. He definitely comes across as a little cocky, but even more, he speaks his mind. This means he will say things that a reporter can use as a sound byte and get a reaction with. People criticize athletes for only speaking in cliches, but when you get someone who doesn't, people say they should shut up.

In addition, this, like the whole magic happens quote, is an instance of Collie getting grief for things that are really not uncommon for athletes to say.
                        I agree that the reaction to the magic comment is a function of oversensitive Ute fans and a religion-tinged rivalry. Nowhere else does that comment get any kind of reaction at all. However, I'll give the Utes the benefit of the doubt and say that he should be aware of the nature of the rivalry and be a little more circumspect in his comments.
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

Austin Collie is extremely cocky in everything that I have ever heard from him.
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                            Austin Collie is extremely cocky in everything that I have ever heard from him.
                            FWIW, a dude (who is a big zoob) at my brother's firm's has a brother who missioned with Brother Collie. He said a lot of the missionaries couldn't stand him, a very arrogant prick.
                            I intend to live forever.
                            So far, so good.
                            --Steven Wright

Comment

Ute Fans really need to write a book on proper player and fan behavior. Call it "The Ute Way" or something like that.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                              X