PDA

View Full Version : RIAA to cease lawsuits against song swappers

SteelBlue
12-19-2008, 02:43 PM
This comes to late for bluegoose's sister, but it seems a far more effective solution. Apparently the RIAA has deals worked out with several ISP's to cut down on the speed or eliminate altogether the accounts of those whom are found to be illegally swapping music.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/31678

Jeff Lebowski
12-19-2008, 02:44 PM
This comes to late for bluegoose's sister,

What happened to her?

SteelBlue
12-19-2008, 02:52 PM
What happened to her?

I should let him tell it because I'll mess it up but here goes. She was sued back when they first started suing individual song sharers. She was just a college kid doing what a lot of us did and I guess she had the misfortune of being made an example. I can't remember the totals, but it was a lot of money to settle. My memory wants to say that they wanted $15k out of her and settled for $5K?

bluegoose
12-19-2008, 08:09 PM
I should let him tell it because I'll mess it up but here goes. She was sued back when they first started suing individual song sharers. She was just a college kid doing what a lot of us did and I guess she had the misfortune of being made an example. I can't remember the totals, but it was a lot of money to settle. My memory wants to say that they wanted $15k out of her and settled for $5K?

You have an amazing memory. Virgen records came after her with both guns a blazin'.

She was an undergrad college student living in a house with 3 or 4 other girls. They all were apparently doing the napster thing, or whatever the website du jour was. They targeted her because it was her computer they were using. Settled for $5K plus legal fees - a lot of $$ for a girl with no cash.

SteelBlue
12-19-2008, 08:17 PM
You have an amazing memory. Virgen records came after her with both guns a blazin'.

She was an undergrad college student living in a house with 3 or 4 other girls. They all were apparently doing the napster thing, or whatever the website du jour was. They targeted her because it was her computer they were using. Settled for $5K plus legal fees - a lot of $$ for a girl with no cash.

Did the other girls offer to pay some of it? I ask this half laughing as I'm sure I know the answer.

RobinFinderson
12-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Settled for $5K plus legal fees - a lot of $$ for a girl with no cash.

Who loves Capitalism!

il Padrino Ute
12-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Who loves Capitalism!

I do.

Gidget
12-19-2008, 10:42 PM

That is crazy, I always wondered who these things happened to. Tell your sister I am sorry.

SO how did she come up with the dough? I too am curious if her roommates offered to share the bill?

bluegoose
12-22-2008, 09:20 AM
That is crazy, I always wondered who these things happened to. Tell your sister I am sorry.

SO how did she come up with the dough? I too am curious if her roommates offered to share the bill?

My dad ended up footing most of the bill for her. The roomies did not offer to help. They claimed to be too broke to chip in.

It ended up being quite a bit more than just the $5K. My sister was pretty freaked out by the suit and hired an attorney of her own. She paid for that out of what little she had, hoping that she could somehow get out of the fines from Virgen records. But it was not so and she ended up paying them their $$ anyway.

Gidget
12-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Lame.