BYU is 104th on 3rd down conversion this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU is 104th on 3rd down conversion this year

Wow. In the SLtrib this morning they pointed out some statistics and the cougar D ranks 104th nationally in 3rd down conversion. That is a joke. I would be willing to bet that it was the same last year.
    Last edited by Hot Lunch; 10-06-2009, 07:41 AM.
    "Take it to the Bank"

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Wow. In the SLtrib this morning they pointed out some statistics and the cougar D ranks 104th nationally in 3rd down conversion. That is a joke. I would be welling to bet that it was the same last year.
    How would we rank without the FSU game? I know you can't answer that, but it seems like we've done okay but for that game - not great, but okay.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

It's one reason why I think the game this Sat night is closer than people are expecting to be. UNLV can move the football. Well that and they seem to play better at home.

Thank goodness for their atrocious Defense. We should be able to win by double digits and move the football and score at will on these guys, but that doesn't mean our D won't struggle to stop their offense.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
        How would we rank without the FSU game? I know you can't answer that, but it seems like we've done okay but for that game - not great, but okay.
        I am not sure. That game is probably the game that puts them so low. I don't remember FSU punting at all that night.
        "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
          Indy posted about it in the PER thread cougjunkie started. FSU certainly makes it worse, but they have been dreadful beginning with the Tulane game.

Edit: here's his post

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          I agree about the 3rd down defense. It's especially bad when you consider that OU was 2 for 11 on 3rd downs, which means that BYU has been truly abysmal over the last 4 weeks.

Tulane - 4 for 12
          FSU - 12 for 15
          CSU - 7 for 17
          USU - 6 for 14

Total: 29 for 58
          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Is that AGAINST 3rd down or our OWN 3rd down completion rate?

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
              It's one reason why I think the game this Sat night is closer than people are expecting to be. UNLV can move the football. Well that and they seem to play better at home.

Thank goodness for their atrocious Defense. We should be able to win by double digits and move the football and score at will on these guys, but that doesn't mean our D won't struggle to stop their offense.
              I agree. I think the game will be closer than people think. UNLV has some good athletic receivers that aren't small. I expect them to try and go after Logan one on one all night.
              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                Is that AGAINST 3rd down or our OWN 3rd down completion rate?
                This is 3rd downs defended. BYU has been in the top 10 in 3rd downs converted since last season.
                "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

As I asked on CB, I wish we could also break it down as to before we are 14 points ahead and after. It appears to me that Bronco has a "soft defense" policy after they get ahead. Kinda a prevent defense and run out the clock, even if it is early in the 3rd Quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    It appears to me that Bronco has a "soft defense" policy after they get ahead. Kinda a prevent defense and run out the clock, even if it is early in the 3rd Quarter.
                    I think they have this policy the entire game. Not just when they are ahead.
                    "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

I think they have this policy the entire game. Not just when they are ahead.
                      LOL, of course you are just one of the many of the unknowledgeable football fans Bronco has to put up with.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                        LOL, of course you are just one of the many of the unknowledgeable football fans Bronco has to put up with.
                        LOL. I had 3 friends text me about that yesterday after the comments were made telling me the same thing.
                        "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

LOL. I had 3 friends text me about that yesterday after the comments were made telling me the same thing.
                          Bronco has a very "my way or the hi-way" mentality with the press. At the same time, he is always saying it was my fault, we need to learn from this, we weren't prepared. It is interesting in that criticism is OK if it comes from the right folks. Fans are not the right folks.

I welcome contrary opinions, but that is why I think he fits in the BYU culture so well. I remember one of President Samuelson's early meetings with the press and Bronco. I don't remember what the issue was, but President Samuelson said, we know what we are doing and we don't have to tell you what it is, or something like that.

I think there is an element in leadership throughtout that basically says, I am the leader because I am smarter than you and you should be greatful, not critical.

Comment

BYU is 1st in 3rd conversion offense.
                            *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                            X