Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UW looking to cancel 2010 & 2011 games with BYU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UW looking to cancel 2010 & 2011 games with BYU?

I took this little gem from CB.

http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=4903025

Here's the report from the Seattle Times:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ges_afoot.html

I'm really hoping we can get a Big 10 or Big 12 opponent to replace UW. I'd like to see a little variety in the scheduling.
    "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
    —Abraham Maslow

Pansies.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

While certainly no surprise, it's a shame. I enjoyed going up to Seattle last year and taking in the atmosphere.

What concerns me is after Florida State and Washington in 2010, there isn't a single BCS team on the future schedule. We've got Utah State, Boise State and Hawaii.....and that's it.

By comparison Utah has coming up: Notre Dame (one and done), Iowa State (whoopdedoo,,they suck), Pittsburgh, Washington State (again whoopdedoo....they suck) and Colorado (again...whoopdedoo...they suck).....along with Boise State....but still at least they have some variety with BCS teams from different conferences on their future OOC.

And I read recently where they mentioned working on another series with Oregon.

Bronco recently said on his Wed night radio show that they've had a number of opportunities to play big name programs pop up since the Oklahoma game, but every one of them the schools were demanding 2 for 1 scenario's and Bronco mentioned he views that as insult and won't do it, because of the level the program is at now.

I agree with him, but it sucks that sooner or later BYU's hand might be forced to do this in spite of how much it sucks. I mean when you have even bottom feeder ACC teams like North Carolina State having 8 home games on their schedule that tells me something is really wrong.

Also it wouldn't surprise me to see more of the 1 and done's at neutral fields scheduled in the future every 2-3 years.
      Last edited by RockyBalboa; 10-06-2009, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
        By comparison Utah has coming up: Notre Dame (one and done), Iowa State (whoopdedoo,,they suck), Pittsburgh, Washington State (again whoopdedoo....they suck) and Colorado (again...whoopdedoo...they suck).....along with Boise State....but still at least they have some variety with BCS teams from different conferences on their future OOC.
        I would take those teams. You never know how good the teams will be 3 or 4 years out.

Except for Iowa State, all those teams have been to BCS/Bowl coalition (including the Rose) games at some point during the last 10 to 15 years.

Comment

I'm worried about our schedule as well. It seems like the next 3-4 years we are playing a MWC/WAC schedule. I love BYU football, but I would rather watch from the comfort of my own home if those are the teams we'll be playing. I would rather see a lower tier BCS team than Nevada, Idaho or some FCS team. This season has been great. Even if BYU lost to Oklahoma and FSU I was excited to see them play.
          "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
          —Abraham Maslow

Comment

wuap, can we get a "Summon byu71!" graphic?
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
              I would take those teams. You never know how good the teams will be 3 or 4 years out.

Except for Iowa State, all those teams have been to BCS/Bowl coalition (including the Rose) games at some point during the last 10 to 15 years.
              Valid points. Afterall....who knew that Florida State and Washington would suck when we signed to play them?

Comment

Valid points. Afterall....who knew that Florida State and Washington would suck when we signed to play them?
                Florida State sucks? I hope we don't play anyone good this season then.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  Florida State sucks? I hope we don't play anyone good this season then.
                  Yep we lost to a team that sucks.

Comment

Yep we lost to a team that sucks.
                    We got blown out by a team that sucks.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      We got blown out by a team that sucks.
                      Yep...and that sucks.

Comment

That's too bad if the UW series gets canceled. They were shaping up to be a good team next year.

We need to start scheduling 5 home and 1 away series with Utah State. The constant home and away scheduling with that team is more insulting than 2 to 1 series with bigtime programs.

I would be curious to find out what kind of teams are asking for a 2 and 1 with BYU. If its USC, Ohio State, Florida, Texas, LSU or OU, then I'm disappointed we aren't signing up for at least one premium opponent a year. If its Vanderbilt, Washington State and Duke, then I could get how Bronco would find that insulting.
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Well, BYU's OOC schedule is wide open now, so hopefully that added flexibility will help them quickly fill in the vacancies.
                          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            That's too bad if the UW series gets canceled. They were shaping up to be a good team next year.

We need to start scheduling 5 home and 1 away series with Utah State. The constant home and away scheduling with that team is more insulting than 2 to 1 series with bigtime programs.

I would be curious to find out what kind of teams are asking for a 2 and 1 with BYU. If its USC, Ohio State, Florida, Texas, LSU or OU, then I'm disappointed we aren't signing up for at least one premium opponent a year. If its Vanderbilt, Washington State and Duke, then I could get how Bronco would find that insulting.
                            Don't worry when Utah st. replaces Utah in the MWC in 2011 you will play them every year switching off.
                            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              Well, BYU's OOC schedule is wide open now, so hopefully that added flexibility will help them quickly fill in the vacancies.
                              Based on the past 4 years I would guess we will be seeing an FCS team every year.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                              X