Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobsen out 4-6 weeks?

From Jay Drew:

receiver McKay Jacobson out 4-6 weeks with hamstring pull, coach Bronco Mendenhall announces at weekly news conference

That sucks. Odds of beating TCU just fell a bit.

Too bad he didn't just suffer a concussion, he'd be right back out there on Saturday!
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

That really sucks, it eliminates the deep ball, but then again maybe Max will take less chances now and not turn the ball over as much.

I thought it was just tight and the whole reason they held him out of Utah State was because they didnt want him to pull it.
      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
        Too bad he didn't just suffer a concussion, he'd be right back out there on Saturday!
        That's funny, since that's the opposite of what has happened so far this year.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
          Lame.
          "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
            That really sucks, it eliminates the deep ball, but then again maybe Max will take less chances now and not turn the ball over as much.

I thought it was just tight and the whole reason they held him out of Utah State was because they didnt want him to pull it.
            The long ball is not Max's forte. This offense is best when it runs the ball well and focusses upon short to intermediate passing game. Long time consuming drives by the BYU offense give the defense time to rest and prep and make the entire team much better. The receiving corps is deep enough and to be honest the bigger bodies WRs fit this mold a bit better than McKay. I think Ashworth, Chambers, Hafoka and perhaps Thompson can be more than adequate.

Return missionaries always spend year 1 dinged up. Always.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
              This offense is best when it runs the ball well and focusses upon short to intermediate passing game. Long time consuming drives by the BYU offense give the defense time to rest and prep and make the entire team much better.
              I seem to remember Bronco saying once that if BYU can force other offenses to do this (make long drives), the chance that they'd screw up is increased, as there aren't many college offenses that can sustain a very long drive without making a mistake.

Is BYU's offense good enough to consistently sustain long drives? Or are we just asking for another fumble or dropped pass on third down when this happens?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                Lame.
                I'm sorry.
                "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                  I seem to remember Bronco saying once that if BYU can force other offenses to do this (make long drives), the chance that they'd screw up is increased, as there aren't many college offenses that can sustain a very long drive without making a mistake.

Is BYU's offense good enough to consistently sustain long drives? Or are we just asking for another fumble or dropped pass on third down when this happens?
                  If BYU stops turning the ball over more times than their opponents then yes, BYU is good enough to sustain enough long drives each game. With the way Harvey is looking, Max's experience, the two tight ends, the size and strength of BYU's WRs and the OL BYU should be able to string 3-4 nice long time consuming drives each game. I think Bronco's comment must be taken into consideration of the context of the entire game. If BYU's offense can do this it puts enormous pressure on the opposing offense and they are likely to panic.
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                    If BYU stops turning the ball over more times than their opponents then yes, BYU is good enough to sustain enough long drives each game. With the way Harvey is looking, Max's experience, the two tight ends, the size and strength of BYU's WRs and the OL BYU should be able to string 3-4 nice long time consuming drives each game. I think Bronco's comment must be taken into consideration of the context of the entire game. If BYU's offense can do this it puts enormous pressure on the opposing offense and they are likely to panic.
                    Indy, do you have a "number of drives 80 yards or longer" stat at your disposal?

Comment

How long was BYU's 1st TD drive? 7, 8, 9 minutes?

Comment

Indy, do you have a "number of drives 80 yards or longer" stat at your disposal?
                        BYUs scoring drives this year:

Oklahoma:

5 for 63
                        16 for 78

Tulane:

10-35
                        13-86
                        16-56
                        6-67
                        13-89
                        5-80
                        9-73
                        5-19

Florida State:
                        11-80
                        8-80
                        1-80
                        4-76

Colorado State
                        2-15
                        2-39
                        2-18
                        10-82
                        15-68
                        3-28

Utah State
                        18-83
                        4-72
                        2-29
                        2-31
                        11-64

BYU has no problem sustaining long drives. 8 drives 80 yards or longer, 12 70 yards or longer.
                        *Banned*

Comment

BYUs scoring drives this year:

Oklahoma:

5 for 63
                          16 for 78

Tulane:

10-35
                          13-86
                          16-56
                          6-67
                          13-89
                          5-80
                          9-73
                          5-19

Florida State:
                          11-80
                          8-80
                          1-80
                          4-76

Colorado State
                          2-15
                          2-39
                          2-18
                          10-82
                          15-68
                          3-28

Utah State
                          18-83
                          4-72
                          2-29
                          2-31
                          11-64

BYU has no problem sustaining long drives. 8 drives 80 yards or longer, 12 70 yards or longer.
                          Interesting. Without knowing and being waaaay too lazy to go through the effort of looking. My guess is opponents average drives are at least 30 yards shorter than BYU's average as a result of turnovers and an abysmal kicking game.

Comment

I concur. Thanks for digging up the data.

Comment

That sucks. Odds of beating TCU just fell a bit.
                              0 < 0

??
                              I intend to live forever.
                              So far, so good.
                              --Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X