A great post from utefans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great post from utefans.

Since most of you dont go to utefans.net here is a great post that is unfortunately true.

By Carne Asada

That's quite enough of the "ooh wow, there may not be any undefeated teams this year; this is totally going to rock the BCS's world when a big-time program gets the shaft" talk. Are you people retarded or have you completely missed the last 11 years?

2008 - Florida vs OU: Utah, USC, Texas, and Boise State all had a legitimate argument to be included. Utah stuck it's neck out and complained, USC and Texas seemed to enjoy getting raped.

2007 - Ohio State vs LSU: Are you kidding me? LSU had 2 losses and they weren't even the best team in their own conference. Ohio State is Ohio State, played in a weak conference and didn't have a better resume than any of the other top 10 teams that year. Total cluster F that year that resulted in nothing.

2006 - Ohio State vs Florida: Big East champion Louisville had just 1 loss, the same record as Florida but was left out. Ohio State was undefeated but they're Ohio State their schedule was not much tougher than Boise State who was also undefeated.

2005 - Texas vs USC: Wow, no screw job this year.

2004 - USC vs Oklahoma: Do I even need to go into this year? Undefeated SEC champ Auburn left out along with undefeated Utah and Boise State.

2003 - LSU vs Oklahoma: USC was left out, AND won the AP national title. Complete cluster F.

2002 - Miami vs Ohio State: Well, pretty hard to screw this one up with only 2 undefeated teams. But they managed to ruin the game with horrible officiating and the winner, Ohio State, is still viewed as a fraud.

2001 - Miami vs Nebraska: Nebraska was invited despite being ranked below Oregon and Colorado, a team from their very own conference. The PAC-10 and Big 12 both had their nuts kicked this year by the BCS and nothing happened.

2000 - Oklahoma vs Florida State: Miami, Washington, Oregon State, and Virginia Tech all had as much going for them as Florida State, in fact, Miami was even ranked ahead of the Seminoles in the AP poll.

1999 - Florida State vs Virginia Tech: Wow, no complete screw jobs this year.

1998 - Tennessee vs Florida State: Ohio State and Arizona were screwed this year, that's Big 10, Pac 10 getting their private areas molested and no change coming about because of it.

So out of 11 years, there were 2, maybe 3 years in which at least one (usually at least 2) big-time school didn't get abused like Tina Turner by the BCS. Yet people still hold out hope that this year's immenent controversy is going to totally rock the system. x a million at you people.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

There's a lot of fuzzy math in that post.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
      There's a lot of fuzzy math in that post.
      What's wrong with it?
      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

2008 - Florida vs OU: Utah, USC, Texas, and Boise State all had a legitimate argument to be included. Utah stuck it's neck out and complained, USC and Texas seemed to enjoy getting raped.
        Is anyone else here not a huge fan of people using the term "rape" in a casual manner to reference sports defeats or the like? Seems unnecessary, insensitive and probably offensive to many people. In a case like this, even "screwed" seems to be a better option. I get to a post that has this term and then all of a sudden I feel awkward and a bit uncomfortable. Sorry for the preachy rant, but hey, that's why my friends call me the Preachy Ranter.

Mormon Red Death, sorry for the threadjack. I know your point was to focus on the BCS message (with which I agree, btw.....although not sure if the BCS being messed up is newsworthy at this point). As long as the BCS keeps making cash, there is little incentive to overhaul it.

ps my friend's don't really call me the preachy ranter.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
          What's wrong with it?
          2008: One-loss USC has an argument, but undefeated Ohio St in previous years is disregarded because of their conference.

2007: LSU had two losses, yes, but I'm not sure how he argues they weren't the best team in the SEC. They also won their conference and were ranked #2 in the Harris, Coaches, and computer polls, all requisites Nebraska fails to meet despite their inclusion in the 2001 title game. And his comment about Ohio St's schedule being similar to Boise St's is just silly on many levels.

2002: a bad call in OT of the title game has nothing to do with the BCS.
          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Also, I feel dirty that I devoted that much time to a post by Moose.

Yuck.

Comment

2008: One-loss USC has an argument, but undefeated Ohio St in previous years is disregarded because of their conference.

2007: LSU had two losses, yes, but I'm not sure how he argues they weren't the best team in the SEC. They also won their conference and were ranked #2 in the Harris, Coaches, and computer polls, all requisites Nebraska fails to meet despite their inclusion in the 2001 title game. And his comment about Ohio St's schedule being similar to Boise St's is just silly on many levels.

Also, his 2004 argument is really a strawman. Without the BCS under the traditional system, there would still have been 5 undefeated teams and only one NC with no playoff to determine it, so "blaming" the BCS is bogus.

sigpic

Comment

They did have only one loss. They have a case. Same with Texas Tech.

They still lost two games just because the "polls" rated them high doesnt mean they were that good.

Agree totally

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Also, his 2004 argument is really a strawman. Without the BCS under the traditional system, there would still have been 5 undefeated teams and only one NC with no playoff to determine it, so "blaming" the BCS is bogus.
                  Yep, to be completely honest if that is the best UF.n has to offer then I am glad I only go there occassionally and just to troll. Not really a good post at all.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Is anyone else here not a huge fan of people using the term "rape" in a casual manner to reference sports defeats or the like? Seems unnecessary, insensitive and probably offensive to many people. In a case like this, even "screwed" seems to be a better option. I get to a post that has this term and then all of a sudden I feel awkward and a bit uncomfortable. Sorry for the preachy rant, but hey, that's why my friends call me the Preachy Ranter.

Mormon Red Death, sorry for the threadjack. I know your point was to focus on the BCS message (with which I agree, btw.....although not sure if the BCS being messed up is newsworthy at this point). As long as the BCS keeps making cash, there is little incentive to overhaul it.

ps my friend's don't really call me the preachy ranter.
                    his post was about people who say "oh this year's bcs screw up will be the down fall of it. or the big wigs in the SEC will never stand for their champ not being in the NC title game."

Comment

Also he really contradicts himself arguing that Ohio State doesnt belong in the NC because they have a schedule as bad as Boise but then he argues that Boise was screwed on two different occassions as well as Utah, neither of which play very tough schedules compared to most BCS teams.

The more I think about it, the more I realize this post was awful.
                      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                        They did have only one loss. They have a case. Same with Texas Tech.

They still lost two games just because the "polls" rated them high doesnt mean they were that good.
                        Oklahoma's SOS gave them the nod over Texas, Texas Tech, and USC. They played TCU and Cincinnati in OOC games. They also played their best football at the end of the season.

With LSU, they beat the #3 team (VaTech) in the BCS polls 48-7. Did those other top-ten teams have an argument? Sure, but their resumes had more holes than LSU's.

Comment

Oklahoma's SOS gave them the nod over Texas, Texas Tech, and USC. They played TCU and Cincinnati in OOC games. They also played their best football at the end of the season.

With LSU, they beat the #3 team (VaTech) in the BCS polls 48-7. Did those other top-ten teams have an argument? Sure, but their resumes had more holes than LSU's.
                          Again the whole problem is that they ALL HAVE A CASE. Or are you and cougjunkie just like the bcs honks. Look when there are 3 11-1 teams this year one team will lose out and it wont be the end of the bcs. That is the main point of the post. Nitpicking the post is worthless.

Comment

And what if there are 3 11-1 teams and no BCS, like under the old system? What happens then? Same thing. Except the BCS conferences make less money in the process. The BCS makes sense financially. And for the most part, it does include the best teams. Not a perfect system, but frankly, not all that bad.

sigpic

Comment

And what if there are 3 11-1 teams and no BCS, like under the old system? What happens then? Same thing. Except the BCS conferences make less money in the process. The BCS makes sense financially. And for the most part, it does include the best teams. Not a perfect system, but frankly, not all that bad.
                              exactly... they arent changing the bcs till it makes sense financially.

Comment

Working...
                              X