The BS taters in the NC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The BS taters in the NC?

Why all the love for Boise State this year? Front page of ESPN.com Monday and front page SI.com today.

How does SI's Mandel justify this statement?

My take: Boise is a legitimate top 10 team. This particular squad is more complete than the 2006 team that beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, thanks to a big-time quarterback (Kellen Moore), a powerful running game (though the loss of No. 2 tailback D.J. Harper hurts) and, most importantly, a defense that's already shown it can slow down an explosive Pac-10 offense.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ml?eref=sihpT1

Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
    Why all the love for Boise State this year?
    Why not, pray tell?
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I think BS loses at Tulsa.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        Why not, pray tell?
        It seems premature. Utah was more impressive last year through 4 games and wasn't coming off a bowl loss, yet they didn't crack the top 10 until week 9.

I would rank TCU, Michigan, and Iowa higher than BS based on this year's performance and I wouldn't put any of them in the Top 10 (yet) let alone the Top 5!

I'm left to assume that BState's ranking is based largely upon its previous accomplishments.

Comment

Why not, pray tell?
          I think BS loses at Tulsa.
          You are on a level the rest of us can only dream about.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
            It seems premature. Utah was more impressive last year through 4 games and wasn't coming off a bowl loss, yet they didn't crack the top 10 until week 9.

I would rank TCU, Michigan, and Iowa higher than BS based on this year's performance and I wouldn't put any of them in the Top 10 (yet) let alone the Top 5!

I'm left to assume that BState's ranking is based largely upon its previous accomplishments.
            My being an Oregon homer aside, do Michigan or TCU have a win that compares to BSU's win over the Ducks? Clearly Iowa does.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
              My being an Oregon homer aside, do Michigan or TCU have a win that compares to BSU's win over the Ducks? Clearly Iowa does.
              Penn state has no quality wins at all. Oregon does...thus, I think BSUs resume is better.

Comment

I like Michigan, but would hesitate to put them any higher than they are now. They have some awesome talent but they're so raw and inexperienced I have to think that they'll lose a few games this year.

Boise State mostly just bores me. They got through what little competition they'll face this year unscathed, and now it's just a waiting game as they cut through the token opponents in their ridiculous conference to see whether the talking heads like them enough to get them into a good bowl. Yawn. I would really like to see them join the MWC. Houston would make a good travel partner for TCU too.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  It's tough to say this early. Michigan beat Notre Dame (at home) and TCU beat Clemson (on the road). I think this drops Michigan out of the conversation.

I would argue that TCU's win against Clemson on the road is more impressive than Boise's win against Oregon at home. I wouldn't be surprised to see Clemson in the ACC championship game.

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                  Penn state has no quality wins at all. Oregon does...thus, I think BSUs resume is better.
                  Sure, but you are comparing opponents and not wins. BState beating #14 Oregon at home is not more impressive than Iowa beating #4 Penn St on the road.
                  Last edited by SloanHater; 09-30-2009, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X