Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know anything about

the three JC kids BYU has offered?

An OLB, and ILB and a CB. I understand all 3 are mid year transfers. From what I can gather the ILB is an LDS kid, or at least he had an LDS name. None of them are highly recruited it seems, but the CB sounds like a total stud from the stats perspective. My guess is that the only one with a shot to play next year is the CB. While I am not high on our LBs, I still think that the returning guys are likely to be what we go with next year, which our hope is that Sooto and Hooks make the corps a bit faster and more athletic. My guess on the LBs are that they are the gap filling measure between 2009 and when the the mish mash of kids on missions, this freshman group and the kids BYU is recruiting this year can take over. If both the LBs come to BYU I expect both to redshirt next year.

Regardless, anyone know much about them and what the likelihood they come to BYU is?
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Aaron Gress is the NON-LDS LB that we offered.

Lee Aguirre is a CB that has stated in a TBS article that he's down to choosing between Hawaii and BYU. Hawaii already had 3 JUCO corners that have committed to them, but he also stated in the article that Hawaii is where he's always wanted to play, but that Bronco also told him he'd have a chance to compete for starting position right away, and how blown away he was by the facilities. He mentioned he would probably make a decision by mid-week as he wants to transfer and get going as soon as possible.

The other LB is an Atkinson kid...related to the other Atkinson here that played for BYU a long time ago. I've no idea how heavily recruited he is, but in reading the article on him it sounds like he's all but committed or wants to.

Comment

Per the TBS articles all 3 were promised a chance to come in right away and compete for starting spots.
      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        Per the TBS articles all 3 were promised a chance to come in right away and compete for starting spots.
        Perhaps I am naive, but do coaches ever tell a kid they are recruiting that if you are the best player at a position I intend to sit your ass on the bench?

I am sure they will get every opportunity, but I doubt they are any better of players than the current crop, or I think they would be recruited harder by programs bigger than Akron or Colorado State, and with their lack of experience methinks I see a couple of redshirts on the horizon.

The cornerback sounds to me like a legitimate talent, I am surprised he is not in more demand by some bigger schools. Time will tell.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
          Perhaps I am naive, but do coaches ever tell a kid they are recruiting that if you are the best player at a position I intend to sit your ass on the bench?

I am sure they will get every opportunity, but I doubt they are any better of players than the current crop, or I think they would be recruited harder by programs bigger than Akron or Colorado State, and with their lack of experience methinks I see a couple of redshirts on the horizon.

The cornerback sounds to me like a legitimate talent, I am surprised he is not in more demand by some bigger schools. Time will tell.
          Here is the quote from Aguirre:

“I met with Coach Mendenhall in his office and he just said that I’d have the opportunity to play right away, which I really like," said Aguirre. “We mostly talked about other stuff other than football though, which I liked.”

From Gress:

“I played safety in high school, so I’m versatile and I’m really good at covering guys, which BYU coaches says is important to do that in their system," said Gress. “They mentioned that they’ll need immediate help at outside linebacker and at Buck linebacker next year, so we talked about those positions.”

This doesnt bode well for Doman, Bauman, So'oto, and Nelson. Similar quote in the Atkinson article about how they want him to step in right away and play the Mike backer position.
          *Banned*

Comment

These JC players will be great players, unlike that scrub Cain at the U.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
              These JC players will be great players, unlike that scrub Cain at the U.
              We need to recruit some big D Lineman named Abel.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

JC kids are worthless. They never pan out.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  1 out of 4 is what he said.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    I also said that I won't buy into any J.C. hype until they do something on the field and like Junkie said 1 out of 4 pan out to contribute. So maybe BYU will get lucky with 1 out of these 3.
                    "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Okay Goat, here's some profiles on the following recruits.

And the word is beginning to spread quickly that Jordan Atkinson has committed, but nothing official yet.

Here is his bio: http://jcfootball.scout.com/a.z?s=87...=1&nid=3829652

Aaron Gress Bio: http://jcfootball.scout.com/a.z?s=87...=1&nid=3727673

Lee Aguirre Bio: Well if you can call this a bio...it has virtually no info on him....http://jcfootball.scout.com/a.z?s=87...=1&nid=3361141

Comment

According to DH's blog Atkinson signed with BYU today and his younger brother might walk on.

Aaron Gress signed with Illinois.

Still no word on Lee Aguirre.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705271202,00.html

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
                          According to DH's blog Atkinson signed with BYU today and his younger brother might walk on.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705271202,00.html
                          So i just watched the film of this guy on DH"s blog. What position is he going to play?

All i saw was a bunch of highlights of him coming un touched as an outside backer. When I say untouched, I don't mean he was putting moves on blockers or using incredible speed. Nobody was picking him up. I guess they don't teach J.C. lineman how to pick up a blitzing backers. Anyways, is he going to play outside backer at the Y? I am hoping he can play inside because BYU is so weak in the middle. Just wondering. I will say this, he didn't really jump out at me on the film I watched on DH's blog just now.
                          "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                            So i just watched the film of this guy on DH"s blog. What position is he going to play?

All i saw was a bunch of highlights of him coming un touched as an outside backer. When I say untouched, I don't mean he was putting moves on blockers or using incredible speed. Nobody was picking him up. I guess they don't teach J.C. lineman how to pick up a blitzing backers. Anyways, is he going to play outside backer at the Y? I am hoping he can play inside because BYU is so weak in the middle. Just wondering. I will say this, he didn't really jump out at me on the film I watched on DH's blog just now.
                            Watching that gave me very little hope. He is not fast enough to play on the edges and doesn't look physical enough to play the middle. BYU needs guys who can be physical in the middle. The one thing he seemed to be able to do when he was actually blocked was get off blocks quickly and move into the hole. That would be a huge upgrade from what we got from our MLB'ers this year.
                            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                              Watching that gave me very little hope. He is not fast enough to play on the edges and doesn't look physical enough to play the middle. BYU needs guys who can be physical in the middle. The one thing he seemed to be able to do when he was actually blocked was get off blocks quickly and move into the hole. That would be a huge upgrade from what we got from our MLB'ers this year.
                              As I have clearly stated on this board, I don't get excited about J.C. guys and nothing I saw on that film is going to change my opinion. Here is to hoping I am wrong for BYU's sake.
                              Last edited by Hot Lunch; 12-17-2008, 10:18 PM.
                              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Working...
                              X